[12]

CHAPTER TWELVE
HIT MEN

[DECEMBER 25, 1981]

-

Christmas was another time for the family to come together. A party was thrown in an expensive building. The women came in their fur coats bragging about the gifts their husband showered them and their children with. For the men - the family Christmas party went beyond that of a simple get together. It was a time for promotions, so to say. The henchmen would drag in with nervous smiles, all the while they were wondering if they were going to leave as they henchmen they came as, or as middlemen.

A few henchmen tried to get on the good side of whatever boss they could for the night. But it was useless. The decisions had already been made. If they hadn't caught the attention of a boss during the heist, then they'd just have to wait until next year. Meanwhile, the henchmen who knew they were going to be promoted came in with their head held high and an air of pride about them. Jongin was among them. They kept smiles on their faces all night because they were no longer the bottom of the barrel now. Instead, they were that much closer to becoming a boss.

Christmas night was about the middleman, old and new. They gained a lot in that one night, but lost just as much as well.

†††

SUHO

SUHO

"How much are you going to drink?"

Suho watches as Minseok shrugs at his question. They were currently seated at a table in the front. The higher up your position was, the closer your table was to Jongmin's table.

"Enough to forget I got shot in the arm less than a week ago." Minseok replies finally before downing a glass of wine rather quickly.

"Keep drinking then." Suho tells him with a grin as he pushes his glass of champagne towards the henchman.

Minseok eagerly takes the drink and downs it all in one go making Suho shake his head. He looks around the room then, his eyes landing on the table where Jongmin sat. Jongdae was seated at the opposite end of the table, telling a funny story rather loudly to a group of henchmen who were only laughing because they didn't want to get shot. Jonghyuk, who looked disgruntled at having to wear a cast on the leg he had been shot in (turns out it had been broken as well), is speaking to their father, Jongmin, at the other end of the table. Suho can't hear what is being said, but Jonghyuk looks dissatisfied with his father's words and makes it known by slamming his hands on the table.