Dante - 1

This is not related to how the book For The Mafia's Son ended.

The story begins a year later.

×××××

It all started a day before Manorma's 70th Birthday. There was a different aura to even the wind. There was a different chime to the cuckoo's singing. There was a different brightness to the sun's light. This was the same date when fifty years ago, Manorma met Thomi Indelicato, a rebel and the man who later became her partner for life. It was the same date when Severin brought home, Nikki for the first time. On this very date, Adrian and Janet discovered their undying love for each other.

In every sense, the nature was giving signals, forecasting an event that was supposed change someone's life.

"Can I suggest you children, something?" Asked the housekeeper, Justice. For a woman in her mid-fifties, she was very alert and agile. Having worked in a mafia family for years taught her the skill of staying on toes.

"Yes, Justice." Adrian trained his attention to her.

"You remember where I used to live before me Rodric died?"

"Yeah, in the outskirts of Wyandotte. But why mention that place now?" Adrian was as confused as the others. Justice rarely talked about her husband, wishing to keep his memories to herself.

"Well, there used to be a little bakery, two streets away from me house. It was managed by a woman and her niña. The little girl makes amazing cupcakes and other baked dishes."

"Cupcakes?" Janet turned to Dante. "Can't you make them, Dante?"

"I can't bake shit, Janet. I wouldn't want to try my hand at baking cupcakes, especially on grandma's birthday."

"Janet, dear." Justice took hold of Janet's hand in an attempt to convince her. "That girl is about your age, I suppose. And trust me, the delights she prepares are out of this world. Manorma would love them."

Janet thought for a moment and then nodded at Justice in approval. Just like her own housekeeper Martha, Justice was very dear to her. She had grown even more close to her in the past year.

"Alright, so we are not ordering the cakes and stuff from any other bakery. Let's order it from the one Justice mentioned." Janet looked at others for approval.

"Doesn't matter to me where you get the stuff from. I despise anything that has cream on it." Alejandro made a disgusted face, so Janet decided to ignore him. Alejandro was often difficult to deal with.

"I think, it'll be fine. We'll pay them the advance and collect everything tomorrow morning." Adrian said, engrossed in his laptop. "Dante you can go and order today."

"I'll come with you." Janet jumped towards Dante, who nodded at her vigorously, always happy to have company .

"You're welcome, sugar high." Dante winked at her.

"How many times have I told you to not call her by stupid nicknames?" Adrian finally let his eyes drift away from the laptop screen to glare at Dante.

"I don't talk to jealous bitches." Dante stuck his tongue out at his cousin.

"You..." Adrian's nose had puffed in anger, he would've released a string of curses at Dante had Janet not intervened.