The Goddess Herself

She approached the city hall from the back alley. It was terrifying going in by herself, even though she knew the order members would be bursting in right after. The door creaked when she pushed it open, loud in the tense silence, and Alice winced.

                If Aphrodite hadn’t known she was here, she did now.

                The room she walked into was the same open space that Eric Revol’s book signing had been held in. Her eye was drawn the front of the room right away, to the red velvet curtains on the stage that were drawn back this time.

                “Well, well, well.” The woman on the stage gave a throaty chuckle as Alice walked in. “Welcome, little witch. Do come in.”

                The goddess of passion was tall, with dark skin that glowed in an almost ethereal fashion, and very red cheeks. Her lips were bright red as she smiled down at Alice. She wore a dress that hugged her curves so tightly it left very little to the imagination.

                Irrationally, Alice felt a twinge of jealousy.

                A second, smaller figure peeled off from the side of the stage and came to stand next to the goddess. Alice blinked. She’d been expecting Adonis. This woman was much shorter than Aphrodite. While the goddess of passion was all voluptuous curves and glossy chestnut hair, this woman was plains and angles, lean and hungry looking, with a halo of black hair that curled wildly about her head.

                This then was Eris, the one the order suspected was going up against them. Apparently they hadn’t thought she’d be here though. Now they might have to face three gods, instead of two.

                Alice forced herself to step forward in spite of the fear that was twisting her stomach. “Aphrodite, I presume.” She was proud of how calm she sounded, cool in fact.

                “Ah, the great witch, Alice.” Aphrodite breathed the last, rolling her tongue over the name, almost tenderly. When she moved down the steps of the stage her orange dress rippled like gentle waves. Alice watched as she approached, feeling almost mesmerized by her.

                “Alice Cunningham.” The goddess stopped in front of her, so close that she could feel Aphrodite’s breath on her cheek. A light scent washed over her, exotic fruit and fresh ocean breeze. Alice blinked, confused, as Aphrodite reached out and traced one finger down her arm.

                “Delicious,” she purred. “I can feel the power coursing through you, little witch.”

                Aphrodite’s lips were inches from her face. They were so red. So perfectly shaped. Alice found herself staring at the perfect way the goddesses’ lashes framed her almond-shaped eyes, the way her neck curved gracefully, long and slender.

                Her voice was low, so low that Alice was sure she was the only one who could hear her. The words were meant for her and nobody else. “What would that power taste like, little witch?”
                Alice felt Aphrodite’s hand in her hair, her mouth was inches away from her own, seconds away. So close.