The Tour

It was hard to concentrate on the food on her plate, even though everything was delicious, when she could feel Bacchus’ eyes on her the entire time she was eating. He wasn’t subtle about it either, every time Alice looked up he would grin at her. She wished he wouldn’t.

                Gaia didn’t help much either. The goddess would look up from her food from time to time and regard Alice with serious dark eyes, as if she were considering her. Or maybe she was wondering if Alice had figured out her second wish yet.

                She hadn’t.

                The thought of that wish made her stomach plunge and her hands begin to shake. How on earth was she going to make a single wish that would ensure that the gods would never bother her or her friends again? It didn’t seem possible.

                Thinking about it was nearly overwhelming, but she couldn’t stay there forever, in fact – she could feel her face flushing as she caught Bacchus looking again – she didn’t think she wanted to stay here any longer than she had to. The gods weren’t trustworthy, not one of them. The only reason Gaia was helping her at all was because of Aunt Ruby.

                The thought made Alice glance around, but there was no sign of the little brown cat. It seemed that Aunt Ruby was off somewhere else today. Maybe she stayed in the goddess’ private quarters. More likely, she wasn’t allowed to see Alice again.

                Gaia might smile sweetly and act the perfect host, but Alice saw, from time to time, a certain glitter in the woman’s eyes. The same look that Aphrodite had when she was sure of winning, the same look Athena had given Alice before their battle. It was the look of someone who was enjoying themselves, who was sure that they had the upper hand.

                Everything was a game to the gods, it always was.

                Alice frowned at her plate, mind working furiously. She had to put those thoughts aside. She was here now, and the goddess had made it clear what was at stake. She had one wish, and one wish only. It was a logical thought process, wasn’t it? What was it the gods had always wanted from her? Power.

                So…if she gave up her power, they wouldn’t want anything to do with her, would they?

                The thought made her feel a bit faint. Giving up her power would mean also giving up everything else. She wouldn’t be able to see the shop anymore, just a vacuum store, like everyone else. The shop would go to Azura, and she, Alice, would have to return to her regular life. It would mean giving up her friends, and probably Altair, because she couldn’t let himself be dragged into it.

                Because it was likely that the gods would still come after her once they learned she was no longer a sorceress. She had enemies. Very old, very angry enemies. They would come for her eventually, and without her magic, there would be nothing she could do to stop them.

                But at least the others would be safe, wouldn’t they?

                Alice’s head was spinning. Would that be any better, or would it just make things worse?

                “Alice, love, what exactly is on your mind that makes you look so furious? Do you not like your breakfast?”

                Alice jumped, sitting up straight to find Bacchus smiling at her, teeth white against his tanned skin. Gaia was also looking at her, in fact, they all were. Horrified, Alice shook her head.