Journal 10

"WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS NOW!?" I woke to someone screaming the next morning.

     I was still laying against Josiah's chest with his arms around my back. It was morning now and the light streaming in through the windows brightened the whole room, stinging my eyes as I tried to open them.

     I assumed the scream came from David, probably as he yelled at Amy for messing up breakfast or something.

     It's only when I hear Josiah say, "Can you keep it down? She's still sleeping." that I realize David is actually here in the room.

     I open my eyes just in time to see David turn to a cowering Amy behind him and scream.  "You brought a whore into my house! This isn't even the same boy that was here yesterday!"

     "Whore?" I repeat indignantly and Amy stumbled over words.

    "Now, hold on." Josiah gently pushes me off him so he can stand, reaching for his boxers in the same moment. "You did not just call my girl a whore. Now you and I, were gonna have a problem." He's got his underwear on by now and he's standing face to red-face
With David.

     I take that moment yo turn and get my own underwear on and put on Josiah's big shirt because I can tell by the tense muscles of his back that this has the potential to get real ugly real fast.

     "What? You think I'm scared of some little punk?" David says. "You don't know who you're messing with."

     "No, you don't know who you're messing with." Josiah shots back, stepping closer. "You might be able to strong arm your wife but I promise you can't with me."

     "Josiah, relax." I get between them with my hands on his chest. "It's really not that big a deal." I bend to pick up his pants and hand them to him. "Just get dressed, okay?"

     He takes the pants from me but he's still glaring at David.

      Amy pipes in then. "C-can we just t-talk about this later?" She asks David. "Y-you're gonna be late f-for work."

     David whips around and grabs her roughly by her arm. "We will talk about this now." He grits in her face as he starts dragging her down the stairs. "You let that little whore bring boys into this house after I specifically told you no one is to come here. Do you expect me to believe she didn't learn this behavior from somewhere?!"

     At those words, my gaze shoots to Josiah and I see him looking back at me with the same questioning look. We both decide to follow them down to the kitchen at the same, concern for Amy mounting exponentially.

     We get there in time to see David shove Amy into the island counter. Her side obviously hitting it pretty hard as she tries to catch herself against the edge.

     "Hey!" Josiah shouts as he sees this. "That was in called for!"

     I do nothing, as I walk casually over to lean by where breakfast is still cooking in the skillet on the stove, just to the side of where they are. I plan to wait. To watch this play out and see if Amy will at least try to fend him off. All I need her to do is try.

     David whirls on Josiah as if to hit him but seems to think better of it. "This is none of your gotdamn business. This is my fucking house and I want you gone!"

     "D-David, please..." Amy starts, clutching a hand to her side. But she goes quiet once David turns his glare back on her.

     "SHUT UP!" He throws a back hand that catches her right across the face and she screams. "You've been bringing other men home. haven't you?!"

    "N-no, I didn't-"

    "HAVEN'T YOU?!" Before she can answer, he's trusting towards her and his hand goes around her neck.

     His back is particularly to him and I can still see Amy's tear-soaked face from where I am. Josiah is on the opposite side, fists and jaw clenched in anger.

   "You have other men here while I'm at work all day trying to make money for you to be comfortable." David hisses in her face. "So you can go get your hair done, and on you fucking shopping sprees! All so you can look good for SOME OTHER GUY?!"

     "No! I don't-" she whispers with what little air she's able to take in.

     "LIAR!!" He screams as his hands get tighter around her neck. "Just tell me how many? 2? 4? Who was it, Amy? Huh? Who have you been letting fuck you in my bed, you slut?!"

     By this time, Amy is clawing at this hands around her neck, her face beginning to turn purple.

     But still Josiah and I wait.

     ...And thankfully, Amy knows what's good for her and she comes through. She puts her hands up and tries to push him away by his face but it doesn't work. Her life obvious on the line, she looks at me from around David's shoulder, a plea in her eyes.

     So I mouth to her, Are you ready?

     I don't waste a single moment as I grab the hot skillet off the stove and chuck the contents at David. Burnt bacon and frying oil searing  the side of his face and he pushing away from Amy screaming.

     Amy doesn't miss a beat as she grabs the skillet from my hand. But by the she turns back to face him, he's already recovered and running of her. But Josiah grabs his collar and yanks him back, giving Amy the perfect opportunity to swing the skillet for his head. David went out like a light.

     She moved to hit him again but I stopped her. "It's over, Amy . I promise."

     Once again she breaks out into tears as she collapses in my arms. "Thank you. Thank you so much!"

     And VHA chooses that moment to storm the house, automatic weapons in hand.

     "JOSIAH VAN DER HAL! HANDS UP! GET DOWN ON THE GROUND!"