Wattpad Original
There is 1 more free part

(4) "It's a surprise."

D A L L A S

"Don't look now, but the guy to our left with the brown hair is checking you out."

Spencer whips her attention towards the left of the cafe, leaving me to facepalm at the one trait that she didn't leave in high school. Her subtlety.

"Spence," I hiss through a tight jaw. "I told you not to look!"

"He's staring at you." She gives me a subtle eye roll and picks her soda up from the white linen-covered table, pinching the straw between her lips with a disappointed expression.

"He wasn't. He was staring at you. I swear."

"Meh, I don't care." She picks up her fork and pushes a crouton salad around her plate. "It's not like I'd wanna look for potential romance in another state."

"No," I agree, leaning back in the steel chair. "But a little fun might not hurt."

"That's not really me anymore, Dallas."

She doesn't say it in a way that leads me to believe that she's disappointed. She just states it as a fact and I have to admit that my best friend has made some major changes in her life. I'm proud that during her breakup she didn't turn to alcohol and meaningless sex. I mean, a lot of women do and that's their business. But not for Spencer. It would have pushed her down a dark hole.

Spencer's been here for almost a week now. Drayton leaves tomorrow and he has a few things that he needs to take care of during the day today but he'd asked if he could steal me for the evening onwards, meaning Spencer would be left alone at our place.

I felt a fraction of guilt for abandoning her during her stay. But Drayton moves tomorrow and a night to ourselves is something that I couldn't pass up. Spencer hadn't been bothered of course, claiming that she'd love having the entire house to herself.

"Excuse me?"

Spencer and I both glance up from our salads that we'll most likely end up contradicting with burgers and fries in less than an hour, only to find the boy with wild dark curls and pale skin with a hint of sunburn red, that we'd been discussing before, standing beside our table. "You're Dallas Bryan, Yeah?"

I give him a small nod and unintentionally glance over at Spencer, who's looking at me as if to say, I told you so.

"I'm a fan. I watched you in the Jason Derulo music video a few months back." His hands slide into his slim jeans pockets as he rocks back on his heels. "It was gorgeous."

"Oh. . . Thanks." I return his flirtatious smile with a brief regard as I lean over and grasp Spencer's hand. "This is Spencer. My girlfriend."

His brows furrow as his glance swaps between our hands and faces.  "Aren't you engaged to Drayton Lahey?"

"Ugh." I lean back in my seat while Spencer smothers a cackle with her hand. "If you knew I was engaged why'd you come over here and chat me up?"

"Why wouldn't I? You're hot."

"Leave."

I don't even bother to glance in his direction again as he sulks back to his table. That is one thing that's been an adjustment in LA. I thought the males could be grotty in Archwood. The men here, while some are wholesome additions to society, others are just downright disgusting and have NO boundaries.