Wattpad Original
This is the last free part

(5) "What? No."

S P E N C E R

"Spence!"

Dad waves out from across the airport lounge. Lydia is beside him with an overall dress on and a short sleeved blue top underneath it. I've missed her so much. I hadn't realised how hard it would be to spend two weeks apart. At the time, I'd figured it'd be good to have a break. But now. . . I'm not sure that I'd be able to do it again. Not for an entire two weeks anyway.

It's good to be home.

The heat is in full force today, I'd felt it crossing the tarmac but I was offered a break thanks to the airport central cooling. Still, there's a sheen on my forehead and I wipe it off as I approach Dad and Lydia, preparing for cuddles that I so desperately need.

"Mommy!" Lydia launches herself into my widespread arms and I let her cling to me like a little koala bear.

While I soak in the unwavering hold of my daughter, Dad leans down and picks up the luggage that I'd been dragging behind me before he gives me a kiss on the head.

"Welcome home, Spencer." His smile is affectionate as he regards Lydia, still with her limbs wrapped around my frame. She hasn't said a word or moved or shown any signs of freeing her hold so far. "Lydia missed you a lot. Didn't you honey?"

She nods her head but keeps her face buried in the crook of my neck. I live for these hugs. They're powerful. They make my heart swell and threaten to induce tears.

"I missed you too, Lyds." My hand smooths her lush ringlets, which fall to the middle of her back. "Shall I carry you to the car then princess?"

Upon feeling her small nod, I laugh and the three of us start towards the exit. "I missed you too, Dad."

He responds with a light laugh, giving my shoulder a caress. "How was Los Angeles? Are Dallas and Drayton well?"

"Yeah they are doing so well," I respond as we approach the machine to pay for parking. Dad slides the ticket in and retrieves a few coins from his back pocket while I attempt to keep my arms from falling asleep at the growing weight of my girl. "Drayton left for Texas earlier this week. Dallas is already working on her next project and yeah. . . They are doing well for themselves."

"And how did Dallas seem to take the news of you moving in with Nathan?" Dad swipes the parking ticket out of the machine and we continue on our way. "You were worried about telling her."

"Oh she was fine with it actually—" my words hutch as I bounce Lydia in my arms to redistribute some of her weight— "she thought it was a good idea actually. Lyds, Mom needs to put you down now so that I can put you in the car."

She unwinds her small arms from around my neck and let's me settle her on her feet while Dad unlocks the car. Her little hands keep a tight grip on mine though and I can't help but laugh a little as I buckle up her car seat once she's settled. It's an amazing feeling to know that you're someone's entire world. Sometimes it feels like a lot of pressure. It'd be so easy to screw it all up, to fail her and make miserable work of her upbringing. But I'll do whatever I can to ensure that she's happy.

"So," dad smiles from the driver's seat once we're moving through the parking lot, "when does the move happen? You know you don't have to leave home, right?"

icon lock

Show your support for Tay, and continue reading this story

by Tay
@tayxwriter
As Dallas and Drayton navigate life in the spotlight, Spencer is navi...
Unlock a new story part or the entire story. Either way, your Coins help writers earn money for the stories you love.

This story has 42 remaining parts

See how Coins support your favorite writers like @tayxwriter.