ᴏɴᴇ

CHAPTER ONE
BITTER BEGINNINGS.

CHAPTER ONE      BITTER BEGINNINGS

"So...would either of you care to explain what happened this afternoon."

The crinkled lady spoke, peering at me through her orange rimmed glasses. I stared at her blankly, slouching in the brown office chair.

"She attacked me," Nancy spoke confidently from beside me, causing my head to snap in her direction.

"It's that true, Bernadette?" The old lady scowls, the wrinkles between her eyebrows showing prominently. "This wouldn't be the first time."

"My ass." I scoffed and turned to Nancy. "I believe I had every right to knock your teeth in, sweetheart."

She laughed dryly, her eyes remaining in front of her, glaring at the wall.

"Language." She scolded, "I just need to know what happened here, girls. The quicker we let it out into the open the quicker it's resolved, which I would like it to be as I have kids to get home to."

I rolled my eyes, not uttering a single word. Glancing down at my battered knuckles, I inspected the dry blood caking them, my anger bubbling for the second time that day.

I sighed exaggeratedly, smiling sarcastically at the woman in front of me. "Some issues just can't be resolved."

I stand to my feet, grabbing my bag and slinging it over my shoulder. "You two have fun with this mother's meeting, I'll see myself out." I muttered, trotting over to the door.

"Bernadette--" I cut the woman off quickly, spinning on my heel and glaring at her.

"No, I'm sorry but this is pointless. We've been here before have we not?" I point out just as my principle previously had.

She sighs heavily, "We have. This is exactly why I need to get to the root of it, Birdie. Now I don't know what has gone on here—"

"She insulted my family." I cut in, "in my opinion, someone should teach her when best to keep her mouth shut."

"Fuck you." Nancy spat, leaning slightly in her seat. "I swear—"

"You'll what? Hit me? Yeah that worked splendidly for you earlier, didn't it." I chuckled humourlessly my eyes travelling over her face. Her lip bust, a purple bruise setting itself nicely atop of her cheekbone.

"Just go Birdie." She sat back shaking her head, turning away from me. I, however turn towards the door.

"Gladly," I say with a smile before briskly exiting the room, leaving trails of unanswered calls from the principle in my wake.