Chapter 1

Chapter1

The bus station was crowded for a Tuesday. Stifling for the first day of spring. But eighteen-year-old Vera Ashborne paid no attention to the people going about with their luggages, cups of coffee's, and the occasional crying or shouting of children who were too excited for their own good. She, too, was busy burying her nose in a newspaper, hoping to get as much information about her new environment.

It's the same as California, she thought as she sifted through the morning news. Most articles printed were about the stock market, which celebrity dated which, and the weather report that said the next few days were about to get windy, partially cloudy, but otherwise free from natural disasters. Europe was not that foreign after all. At least when it came to the news.

"Is this seat taken?" a woman said.

Vera glanced up from her newspaper, trimmed eyebrows as inquisitive as the rest of her features, dark eyes assessing the stranger before her.

American. But it wasn't the accent that gave the stranger away— it was the ivory blonde hair, the icy blue eyes, the unassuming grin that told Vera the stranger was as lost to this place as she was. The clothes, too, were a giveaway. The American had overestimated the weather and was wearing a fluffy maroon jacket that hid her lean figure.

"No, it's not reserved," Vera finally answered. Then quickly added, "At least that I know of."

In any case, the stranger who seemed to win the genetic lottery in life breathed a sigh of relief and sat on the chair directly on her right. There were two teenagers on the station now. Most people were either too old or too young to be grouped with them. Vera tried to resume reading.

"You from here?" the stranger asked before she could understand the first word. "Or am I just assuming from your uneasy posture that you're just as lost?"

Vera cleared her throat. "Partly right. Partly wrong," she said.

"Oh? Why is that?"

"Because. . . Uhm, my family used to live here in Europe before they moved to California."

"Cool. My name is Nyx."

Vera didn't know how the stranger managed to worm her way into an introduction, much less talk to her more than anyone had done in her old school in five minutes. But with such kind smile and an unassuming air, she couldn't help but take the hand that was offered to her and shake it.

"Vera," she murmured.

The two of them let go. The stranger, she guessed, wasn't done talking yet. Nyx had noticed the newspaper on Vera's lap and had taken interest on it.

"Is there a horoscope section on that thing?"

"No. Well, I'm not sure."

"Can I see?"

The newspaper was passed from one hand to another until it was spread on Nyx's arms. The American perused its contents, shuffled through the pages, and found what she was looking for.

"Here it is. Oh, this is interesting. My horoscope said I'll meet someone today and fall in love. How about yours?"

Vera considered if she was going to humor this question for two reasons. One, she didn't believe in such things as horoscopes. Two, finding out what the stars had in store for her required leaning on Nyx's arms to read. A debatable subject for someone with a status such as hers. But then again, no one had to know.

Going closer to Nyx, Vera peered at the paper, read its contents as fast as possible, before straightening and beaming. Her long black hair was flipped behind her as she said, "I'll encounter a catalyst."