Chapter 15

Chapter15

The crack of dawn was peeking behind the clouds when Vera, Nyx, and the man marched outside the Ashborne castle. It had been a long day. And ironically, it had just begun.

"Where are we going exactly?" Beside Vera, Nyx was sporting a scowl, one hand still armed with Catherine's stake, the edge of the wood drying with blood.

The man who owned the gruesome evidence smiled. "I told you, we're going to my house."

"And why do we need to come with you, huh?"

"Because I'm bleeding."

"Well you were dead a while ago," Nyx complained. "Or we thought you're dead. How come you didn't have a pulse?"

Vera continued walking with them, all kinds of thoughts in her mind. Prosthetics, the old man had said. Could he have somehow blocked his pulse points too?

Must be. She glanced at him. Pondered at his existence.

Now that they were all in equal footing, she could see how tall Mr. Morris was— his brown hair that was little bit too long, his brown eyes; how easily he could have scared them if he wore a costume. But his earlier explanations didn't exactly give out anything. After they had all scrambled to their feet following his lame greeting, he simply said, "I'll tell you everything in my house. Now come with me if you don't wish me to die."

A blackmail, as far as Vera was concerned. An emotional one that forced her and Nyx to come along lest they wanted to be guilty of seeing the man dead on the streets later on. For real. Nyx, after all, had stabbed him pretty hard.

"I don't regret it," the Price said, as if reading Vera's thoughts. The woman came closer, leaned her head nearer. "He deserves it. I mean who would wear prosthetics and scare people like that?"

"I can hear you," Mr. Morris taunted in front.

"Well I don't care, old geezer," Nyx hollered back. The Price glanced at Vera again, blue eyes suspicious. "Besides, I still don't understand where the woman who'd been following you went. And what does she have to do with your parents? Or was she working with this man all along?"

They both sneaked glances at Mr. Morris. He came out of nowhere when they were trying to hunt the woman. Could that be one of his tricks too?

"I say we dump him," Nyx whispered.

"We can't." Vera gnawed on her lip, unsure. "He's bleeding."

"And so? Are you kind to anyone who's not a Price?"

The two of them studied each other. Vera, who'd seen how Nyx was too willing to come and save her, looked away. Felt hotness on her cheeks but didn't say anything. She was grateful but embarrassed- Nyx had proven time and again to be her personal hero.

It was a long walk. Mr. Morris, though tall at six-foot plus, was taking too long, was almost crouched down, supporting his upper back. He didn't want them to treat him earlier, so Vera had no choice but to watch the blood trickle down his flannel shirt. To wonder where he was going to take them, and if he was going to die along the way. The thought made her shiver.

They passed a lot of houses; big ones, small ones— none of which were familiar yet as she and Nyx hadn't reached this part of the town. In the distance, Vera spotted a windmill.

"Is that?"

"My house?" Mr. Morris picked up his steps, his back beginning to straighten. "It sure is."

Vera and Nyx exchanged glances again, a message passing through their eyes.

First sign of danger and they run. Vera wondered how easily she could understand.