Chapter 16

Chapter 16

Vera felt surprisingly relaxed when she opened her eyes. None of the muscle soreness that she'd harbored from climbing some stairs, dropping from balconies, and continuously running, searching, and traipsing along town was there. Also, she saw from the small square window from the right side of the room that the sun was still up. It could very well be afternoon, but she seriously doubted that. After all, the scent of the morning dew was all over the room. But Nyx, regretfully, wasn't.

Vera was up in a snap, searching across the place, looking for the blonde-haired girl to no avail.

'I have cast my spell on you.' The thought made Vera shiver. Pat her hands all over her face, she took a deep breath.

It's just a joke, she thought. Nyx always made jokes.

What was no joke, however, was feeling nervous because the other woman was not there. At least the Price could have given her a heads-up if she were to leave Vera alone. It was not entirely safe to separate.

A strong gust of wind entered the room.

Vera's eyes narrowed. Where was that coming from?

Standing up, she went to the window and discovered that it was closed. Was there a hole from the walls then? Something that they failed to see from the exhaustion of yesterday? A creak from above made her stare.

Vera tried to contain her excitement as she continued to climb the trapdoor. On the ceiling, upon further inspection earlier, was a thin, almost invisible string that could easily be pulled down. Doing so exposed wooden stairs that she had no trouble bringing to the floor. But she was no fool to climb it without a weapon. Vera took the stake which was still unexpectedly on the bedside table.

Wait. What if this is exactly what they wanted? Vera was a second too late when she thought of that. For wriggling fingers were already above her face. The owner of it grinning at her.

"Still half asleep?" Nyx said, before reaching out.

Vera, reluctant, took the woman's hand. "What are you doing up here?" she asked.

"What are you?"

Vera did not answer. What she did, however, was look around the moment she got on the roof. Nyx steadied her on her feet, so she wouldn't cascade below.

"Careful," the Price said. "It's a little slippery because of the rain last night. But the view is so good it more than makes up for it. Don't you agree?"

No kidding, Vera thought as she looked upon the field. The Ashborne Castle was still the highest point of Luca, but this was a different experience altogether. She stared upon her right where the dull blades of the windmill rotated like clockwork.

"Brace yourself," Nyx warned. "The wind is getting stronger!"

The two of them were forced to huddle together by the blast. Vera gave a small laugh. It was like being fanned by an airplane's propeller. She had never tried it, but boy, did she want to now.

She spread her arms wide as a result.

"Are you pulling a Titanic on me?"

"A what?"

"That movie," Nyx shouted, the wind snatching her voice.

"Oh, that scene!" Vera was suddenly embarrassed. She tried to bring her hands down, but Nyx had quickly stopped her.

"No. Just raise it, Lady Ashborne. You look cute like that too."

"How so?"

"You just do. Don't argue with me, will you?"