Chapter 17

Chapter17

"Do you see what I'm seeing?"

Vera raised her head. All around her, grass were ruffling side by side, higher than her knees if she were to stand up. But currently, she and Nyx were crouched on the ground, fingers submerged in dirt. And staring forward, she was greeted by the woman's backside, which made her blink twice at the question.

"The mole, Vera. I was talking about the mole."

"What else will you be talking about?" Vera felt her cheeks getting warmer. It wasn't like she was looking at Nyx's ass intentionally. It wasn't like she'd been doing it for the rest of the week.

She shook her head and tried to recall why they were on the yard in the first place. Mr. Morris came to mind.

"Okay, kids," the old man had said. It was around nine in the morning, right after breakfast when he cornered them away from his wife and gave each of them a small square cage. "It's been two weeks since you've started working for me and Greta. I think it's time to teach you the harder things."

"Like what, Joseph? How to hide you're gay?"

Vera turned away at that point. Nyx, she knew, was teasing about her. But she tried her best to ignore it.

"Actually, yes," Mr. Morris replied, followed shortly by a hearty laugh. He was such a man, always humoring Nyx. Add to that, in the two weeks since they'd been here, Vera found him to be easy going and level-headed. He and his wife lived a pretty simple life primarily tending to their prosthetics business. But outside that, chores had to be made; a lot of it. So in order to share the load, he'd been teaching them the ropes. Vera found all of it confusing but refreshing.

Nyx's jokes, she did not.

"Alright, Vera seems to be pouting at us, so I'm going to get straight to the point." Mr. Morris gestured to the cages he gave them. "There's a mole infestation on the yard behind the house. Those little critters had been digging through the flower bed, and as you can guess, it's upsetting my wife so much she's refusing to even look at me until I've dealt with them. So I want the two of you to catch them with those traps."

"Cool." Nyx lifted the cage to eye level. "I've never done that before. Do you think those moles have rabies?"

"No, but they do bite," Mr. Morris explained. "Be careful round those critters. They're very nasty fellas."

The memory drifted away as Vera focused back on what Nyx was trying to show her in front.

The Price motioned to her and asked. "Can you see it now?"

"No."

"Then come closer."

Vera crawled forward, right beside Nyx, stared ahead. The grass around them rustled.

"I don't see anything," she said. "Maybe you just imagined the mole."

"Maybe." Nyx turned her head, so Vera could feel the woman's blue eyes looking at her. But Vera refused to look back. Instances like this had been happening more often now. She was not willing to continue it anymore. But strangely, something about having a Price, her supposed enemy, so close without her flinching, or thinking about her mother's warning every few seconds like she was supposed to do made her feel at peace. And guilty. Very guilty.

Vera sat back. "Hey?"

"Yeah?"

"I want to talk to you about something."

Nyx leaned back too. Now both of them were sitting on their knees, but still the grass was over their heads, offered them a kind of privacy in the yard. Vera felt like it was the perfect moment.