Why?

A/N: Re-read stuff and am trying to continue the story but I have forgotten some of what I intended. Hopefully this chapter isn't shit.
— — —
Shortly after returning from the junkyard, the police were contacted as the girl's had planned. An investigation was lead and part of the school was shut down. Octavian had been escorted to a police car and the campus exploded with rumors. It was nice for once that both Thalia and Reyna didn't have anyone talking about them.

Only, Thalia couldn't shake the feeling that something was wrong. Octavian didn't seem too concerned about his arrest. Then again, Octavian would probably be bailed out. What made Thalia even more anxious was Artemis' absence and Nico's presence at their table.

"You guys are responsible for that aren't you?" He asked softly so only they could hear.

"Can't say for sure." Reyna mumbled but Nico didn't need to pry further, he could read her body language pretty well.

"I see. Listen, are you guys certain meddling with all of this is a good idea?" Nico glanced over his shoulder noting the wild conversations going on. Most likely kids debating on the reason for Octavian's arrest.

"We've been asked that by practically everyone who knows what we've been up to. We're quite aware, and at this point, there's no going back. We're sticking to our guns," Thalia spoke with finality to her tone ending the topic of discussion.

"Are you crazy or are you crazy?" Nico snorted, shaking his head. "I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm glad someone's trying to deliver justice around here but I worry what the cost will be. I mean, every time someone's been close to discovering something important bad stuff had happened."
"You're telling me," Reyna sighed. "Not to mention the blackmailing here. When Thals and I went digging for info, it was like-"
"Like Octavian and his friends knew everything about everyone," Thalia concluded.
"They have Drew," Nico snorted, "of course they know everything."
"No, this is different. It's like, somehow they were capable of manipulating everyone. I-is say more but-" Thalia and Reyna shared a glance, "you've already been through a lot. You don't need to be in danger."
"Yeah," Nico nodded in understanding, "Hey, speaking of danger, has anyone seen Leo? He's missed school. I've been trying to message him by last I heard he's been holed up at home with his dad. He won't come out."
"No," Reyna frowned, "but I might be able to check on him."
"Good," Nico sighed in relief.
"Have you heard anything from Artemis?" Thalia asked, returning Nico's concern.
"Nothing," Nico replied, staring at his unappealing lunch with concern. "Maybe it's for the best. Last I heard she and Apollo got into a big fight."
"What on?" Thalia worried.
"Well, when you guys were working your magic or whatever, Apollo decided to be less of a dick and clean up the house. He found the pills Artemis hasn't been taking. Got super mad about it. They're not on talking terms."
"God," Thalia whispered, rubbing her eyes tiredly. "Okay. I'll stop by later. Leo first though."
With that settled, the rest of their lunch period was spent in silence until the bell finally cried out. Collecting their things, the trio parted ways. Neither Reyna nor Thalia could focus during the last few hours of the day.
Reyna recalled Thalia's explanation of her encounter with Octavian and Orion before she'd arrived with the bat. How they mentioned Leo like they'd hurt him. The thought made her shiver. She never should have asked for his help.
It wasn't until school finally came to an end that Reyna was able to find the source of her worries. Thalia remained quiet as they walked to Leo's house. The lights remained off, the house seemed oddly quiet, and there was no trace of life.
"This is creepy," Reyna mumbled, following Thalia around the back before pausing in front of the basement window. "Come on Leo. Where are you?"
"Pst!" The violent noise startled both girls. Reyna spun about ready to beat the absolute shit out of whoever was there before realizing who it was. Leo was half hidden in the odd workings of a tree house. The structure was clearly old, but somehow still standing despite the beating it'd taken from the sun.
"What the fuck!" Thalia cursed, picking up a rock and chucking it at the weathered wood.
"Sorry," Leo apologized, poking his head back out of he window once he was certain he wasn't going to die by rock projectiles. "Come on up."
A ladder; rickety as it was, came tumbling down like a vertical railroad track. Reyna was the first to test the steps. Once she didn't die, Thalia followed her friend up to Leo's peculiar hide out albeit unhappy.
"What the fuck are you doing up here?" Thalia demanded, scrambling swiftly away from the trap door that could lead to her tumbling down to the ground.
"Staying out of sight and out of mind," Leo remarked, his unusual seriousness quite disturbing.
"We heard you got paid a visit," Reyna winced, "and I'm sorry. It was my fault. I dragged you into the mess."
"Forget it. Someone has to do something around here. Everyone's living in a paralyzing fear. If anyone can undo this shitstorm it's you two," Leo spoke fiercely, and Thalia got the impression he'd have burst into flames from the passion in his eyes. "Anyways, I did some thinking."
"Okay?" Thalia arched a brow. "And?"
"I've managed to connect some dots regarding the weird events going on. Some details not many people knew only because I've done favors before, but considering most of those people are gone I can break my confidentiality agreement with them," Leo decided, tapping hurriedly at the keys.
"Start with Zoë," Thalia proposed, "she was the first to go."
"Right," Leo nodded. "Well, her father is Atlas. They lived out of town which you know, big family, mother out of the picture. Dad is a big tycoon, image needed to be kept up, daughter can't have a girlfriend. Why? Not just because he's a homophonic asshole but because his daughter is dating a kid with connections."
"Connections how?" Reyna asked.
"Artemis and Apollo have some powerful and distant relatives. People who would gladly reveal Atlas' horrific business practices and illegal schemes. All it takes is his daughter to spill the beans to Artemis or Apollo and it's game over," Leo explained. "So what happens? His kid goes missing. Vanishes. The danger of being shut down is gone. No more kid no more issues."
"So you think Zoë's dad is responsible?" Thalia frowned. "How does he connect to the others?"
"Easy, we start with Bianca now. Bianca gets suspicious that her friend goes poof. Bianca starts asking questions, prying, and somehow discovers that Ethan knows something because he mentions a detail he shouldn't know about. How the four of you went out somewhere to eat the night before Zoë vanished. Ethan gets nervous and knows he's gotta do something. So they plan it, the accident, and with Bianca gone there's no one left to ask questions. You and Artemis would be too scared."
"Well, that's not untrue," Thalia admitted.
"Only, someone on the inside gets scared too. They're in over their head so they want out. That person is Selina. She's the one who told Ethan the key detail that tipped Bianca off," Leo rambled and only stopped when Thalia interrupted.
"Selina? Why? Why would she ever-"
"Because Drew has her pinned," Leo sighed, a look of conflict on his face, "listen, okay? Don't make judgments about them if I tell you this."
"I won't," Reyna and Thalia assured.
"Somehow, Drew knee Selina and Charlie were sleeping together. Knee Selina's dad would go ape shit if he found out. Especially because she was secretly dating the kid of a fire fighter. They were rich, superior, and he had higher expectations of her. So, by threatening to snitch, Drew gets Selina to keep tabs on all of you. Only, now Selina wants out. She doesn't care if Drew snitches anymore or not."
"But Selina knows too much," Reyna concluded, "and I bet she's the one that managed to take all of those photos. She'd go unnoticed because you don't hate her like you do with Drew."
"That-that makes a lot of sense," Thalia shook her head in amazement.
"So, they can't let her go. They have to get rid of her like they did Bianca. So who do they go to? Charlie," Leo was pacing now. His mind going incredibly fast.
"Why Charlie?"
"Think about it. It doesn't matter what he has to do for them if they mention they have Selina in any way. He'd do anything for her," Leo sighed.
"Even make the stop watch bomb for her car," Reyna breathed. Silence settled in the tree house for a brief moment.
"Those sick bastards," Thalia cursed.
"Once Charlie realizes his bomb killed his girlfriend he's mad. Doesn't help that the car didn't completely disintegrate meaning the evidence can be traced back to Charlie. Once investigators get to him they have no choice but to question him. All Charlie has to do is spill the beans." Leo concluded.
"So they burn his house down and he dies," Thalia hissed, her brow furrowing in anger and sadness. She couldn't believe this. Sure, Leo was known for outlandish conspiracies but he'd done his research. He knew people's darkest secrets because they came to him in desperation to erase digital secrets. Thalia had no doubt he was right in all of this.
"But that doesn't explain Annabeth's involvement," Reyna noted.
"Annabeth's smart," Leo continued, "and she was investigating long before you two. Her and Percy both. They got far but not as far as you. This was back when Bianca died. Nico asked Percy to look into it. They had a too close encounter with Luke. Luke pulled a knife on Percy and Annabeth took the hit. That's why she has the scar. Ever since they've been different. Won't go anywhere alone, and I don't blame them."
"But why? That's what I don't understand. Why go through all of this trouble? Why ruin all of these people?" Thalia whispered, her eyes pleading with Leo in hopes he had an answer.
"That much I don't know," He admitted with a helpless shrug. "I wish I did. But my best bet is that it goes back to Atlas."
"Those texts we saw did show Orion saying he was paid off by an 'ally'" Reyna reminded, "to gather information. That must have been info on Zoë."
"Okay, but that's just Orion. Why the others?"
No one had an answer. That was one of the largest pieces to the puzzle and it remained missing. Motive. Why would they go through such lengths to do this? Why would they kill friends? And what really happened to Zoë? Or even the others?
"Thanks Leo," Reyna spoke at last, standing and dusting her hands off on her pants. "Come on Thals."
"Welcome, and if I find anything else I'll let you know," Leo promised, as both girls slowly clambered down the tree house ladder.
Both Reyna and Thalia walked in silence for some time before the punk spoke up. "I've been thinking back to the files I found in the principle's office. What if they're all doing this so their records go clean? I mean, Orion did sexually assault Artemis but the report is none existent. Octavian is creepy as shit in anatomy class and I think it made Selina uncomfortable. Not to mention the doping evidence."
"Maybe that's a part of it," Reyna nodded, "but there's something bigger. It can't just be because of criminal records. Sure, Atlas is involved, we know that. But how is the principle and who is K? How'd they get a bunch of kids to do their bidding? The offer would have to have been insane."
"We'll figure it out," Thalia sighed, "I just wish Zoë was here so we could ask her. She would know."
"Maybe we can ask Artemis. Maybe she might remember something odd. Ask about the night before Zoë's disappearance?" Reyna proposed.
"I don't know Rey, that might hurt her," Thalia worried.
"If she says no we won't press, but I think she should know how this is all connected. To at least make sense of some of what's going on," Reyna decided.
"Okay," Thalia nodded, "let's go. It's just-there's so much to process. It's overwhelming beyond belief. Leo's explanation makes sense but I just don't understand whyWhy would they do this?"
"I don't know," Reyna admitted, but she wished more than anything that she had an answer.
"What's worth killing anyone over?"