Chapter 5: Interviews

Ivy didn't give me any good advise the morning before the interviews. "Be whatever you aren't and you'll do fine." Why should I lie to Panem about who I am? I might as well die knowing that I wasn't fake, that I was me. I decided to throw Ivy's advise out the window and just go out there being myself.

           I was in line with the other tributes, they all looked so nice and most of them don't look nervous. I was wearing a light blue dress with my red hair in curls. Caesar Flickerman came out on stage and the audience cheered. The first girl to go on was some blonde named Glimmer. What a stupid name. "Are you prepared?" Caesar asked her. "Yes!" she replied. Then the boy from 1 went on. "Do you think you can outlast the other carrers?" Caesar asked. What kind of question is that? "I don't know, we'll just have to wait and see." Good answer. The district 2 tributes still scared me. After the tributes from 3 and 4 it was my turn.

          "Good Luck." Jason whispered in my ear. I nodded my head and waited for my introduction. "From District 5, the lovely Marissa!" At least he called me lovely. I walked out on stage smiling as I sat down with Caesar. "So Marissa, what is the most confusing thing about the Capitol?" Be honest "The showers." I reply, the crowd goes crazy. "Oh really? What's so confusing about them?" he asks leaning in. "I almost burned myself in the shower." I reply and the crowd starts laughing again. "Well I hope your ok, but about the games, do you think you could win?" I have to think about this, but I cant think for long. "If I try my best I could." I reply

          He nods his head and asks,"Is there anything your worried about." "First, I don't want to burn myself." I pause while the crowd goes crazy again. "And I really don't want to have to kill anyone." I continue. "Well, killing is sort of a large part of the games." he says. "I'll find a way to get around it." I tell him. Then the buzzer goes off. "I'm afraid that's it for Miss Marissa from District 5." He stands up and thrusts my hand into the air. I walk off to be greeted by Ivy.

          She's nodding her head of approval. We watch the remaining tributes interviews on a TV. Jason did a great job and he came to join us afterwords. The boy from 11 only answered his questions with a yes, a no, or completely silent. If your that big you could get away with anything. When it was time for the District 12 male we were all tired and wanted to go to sleep. "Peeta, is there a special girl back home?" Caesar asks. "Um, yeah, kind of. There's this girl I've had a crush on forever." he replies. "Well I'll tell you what Peeta, you go in the arena and you win, then she'll have to go out with you." Caesar tells him. "Winning won't help me at all, she came here with me." he tells Caesar.

          I look down the hall and I see Katniss blushing. Without even thinking I say, "I bet it's an act." "It probably is, but acts get you sponsers." Ivy explains. We walk back to the elevator and go to our floor. "Get a good sleep, you'll need it." Ivy tells us. I crawl into my bed expecting to have nightmares of my death, but instead I fall asleep quickly.