Chapter Eleven

"This is your idea of fun?" I yelled at Carlene. I was standing on a medium sized rock in the middle of the river.

         "Oh calm down," she yelled back laughing. She was already across the river using small rocks as her stepping stones. Unlike me I was heavier and my feet were bigger and I wasn't that good at landing on small things. Why am I doing this? I'll admit this was heart pounding and nerve racking but it wasn't fun. This was a suicide mission. 

         "Can we go back to shore?" I yelled. She laughed throwing back her head. She smiled at me and shook her head. I looked around me. Grey water pounded against the rock I was standing on. I was on my toes and getting ready to jump to the next smaller rock. I groaned. I swear if I fall in this river and I die and go to hell I'm dragging Carlene with me. I looked at Carlene for help. 

        "Just jump!" She yelled. I took in a deep breath and jumped to the next rock trying to stay light on my feet. The rock was too small and I was standing on one foot. I looked at Carlene with narrowed eyes. 

       "I'm killing you if I live," I yelled at her. She laughed again holding her stomach. I mocked her laugh and muttered a few cuss words to myself. 

      "Fucking water. Too damn cold. Why the hell did I agree to this? I am gonna die." 

  "Oh stop complaining and jump," Carlene said laughing. Astrid would have laughed too if she saw me now. No actually she would have pulled out a camera and recorded the whole damn thing thinking it was all a joke. Probably one of the things I didn't like about Astrid. She could be really cruel sometimes. She laughed when a kid almost drowned in a pond back in Tennessee. It wasn't funny. At all. Oh well though. She has a sick, twisted mind but doesn't everybody? I took another deep breath and jumped to the next rock and made it. I grinned at Carlene. She gave me a thumbs up. 

       "You want me to meet you halfway?" She yelled. I nodded. I didn't want to do this alone. I admit I was scared. I can slip and fall. I could drown in the current. It was really strong especially after a strom. Carlene stood up and step onto a rock jumping gracefully from rock to rock. I stared at in wonder. She was very good at this. I wonder if she has done something like this before...hmm...

       "Carlene where are you from?" I asked. 

     "South Carolina," she answered smiling. I nodded. That was a good state. I've been there before. 

      "You?" She asked. 

   "Tennesse," I answered proudly. She grinned. 

   "I have honestly always wanted to live in Tennesse. I heard it was beautiful and the mountains in the east," she said. I laughed. I found it funny how we were casually talking while she was jumping towards me across a dangerous river. Just..wow. Carlene was a few rocks in front of me when she slipped and fell into the water. 

         "Carlene!" I yelled. The current dragged her underwater and I coud not see her. I jumped into the icey cold water and let the current take me. 

           "Carlene!" I yelled again. I saw Carlene's head pop out of the water a few feet in front of me. I heard her cough and she turned to face me.

          'River!" She screamed. Her skin was whiter than it usually was from the cold water and her lips were blue almost. There were really dark circles under her violet eyes. I swam in the direction the current was taking me making me get closer to Carlene. My teeth chattered. God this water was cold. The sea water was warmer. Goose bumps covered my tan skin. I shuddered but kept swimming towards Carlene. The current pushed harder and I made to Carlene. I wrapped my arms around her tightly. She shook violently against me.

           "F-f-fuck, i-it's c-c-cold," Carlene shuddered. I nodded in agreement. It really was. 

     "M-maybe the current will slow down," I said trying to take control of my words. I was wrong though. It seemed like the current was pushing faster. Where could it be going? Carlene and I looked up ahead but nothing that could answer our question. We couldn't swim to the bank because the current was too strong and it was freezing. Carlene clinged to my neck and I looked for anything that could help us but nothing. The sky was grey and the water was grey and I should have known better. Something caught my attention up ahead and I looked closely. It didn't sound like it was going to contunue....Oh no. I hugged Carlene tighter against me probably squeezing the little life she had out of her. I looked at Carlene paranoid. 

      "What?" She asked terror in her wide eyes. 

    "We're gonna go down a waterfall."