Habits | six

| six

THEN

My head was pounding. I felt as if the whole world was laying on top of me. I flinched as I tried to move my hands but all I felt was pain shoot straight up my arms. I tried to open my eyes but the lights shining down on me stopped me from doing so. The beeping beside started accelerating a little faster, alerting someone in the room with me. Soon I heard voices beside me.

"Her hand jerked a bit and then her heart monitor started beeping faster than normal. That's a good sign, right?" A deep voice said. A deep voice that sounded so familiar.

"Hand movement could mean she's responding to the medication Mr. Sanclair. We cannot do anything at this point unless she responds. We just have to wait and see if Isabella is gonna wake up. As much blood that she lost, her body needs to rest. If she wakes up, please alert me as soon as possible." Another said.

Something cold touched my hand and more pain radiated towards my body making me groan.

"Stop. Don't touch her!" The familiar voice spoke up again. "You caused my daughter to damage herself. If she dies it's on you boy!"

A wet drop fell on my cheek and slithered down towards neck. "I didn't mean for this to happen. You think I'm enjoying this? I love her!"

"You love her?" Scoff. "You wouldn't have been getting involved with her sister if you had loved her! She gave you everything Paul. My little angel trusted you. I fucking trusted you! I never knew my baby would hurt herself because of you. All the marks on her body are proof!"

"What do you mean all of the marks?"

"Her body is full of bruises and cuts! Don't worry the police should be on the way to pick you up."

"Mr. Sanclair, I give you my word that I never put Isabella in harms way. I have never hurt her."

"Save it for the police boy. I asked my wife to step outside the room and call the police."

"He didn't do anything." My mouth opened and the words tumbled out. It was time for my father to know about what they done to me. I opened my eyes and watched my father stand from his chair. "Momma and Jaq done this."

He shook his head, "sweetheart you don't know what you are saying."

I was about to tell him that he didn't know what he was talking about but before I could do so my hospital door opened harshly and slammed against the wall.

"Police! Paul Johnson you are under arrest for domestic violence. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have a right to an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be provided for you." The cop read Paul his Miranda Rights as he was being cuffed against the wall.

As he was being taken away he turned back one last time and looked me in the eye. "I love you Isabella, don't let them tell you any different!"

My heart broke. I love him. I loved him. He had been my first at everything. Paul had showed me things that no one had showed me. He understood the real me. And now he was gonna be punished for a crime that he did not commit. No one would believe me. Not even my own father believed me. If I tried to do anything I know that my mother and sister would hurt me worse than they ever have.

"Father he did not do this to me!"

"Oh give it a break Isabella! He didn't love you! He just wanted to use you and your sister! And if you believe him then you are stupid!" My mother seethed at me. "I mean just look at you! Do you want to end up dead?"