CHAPTER 1 (Part 2): JUDGMENTS

Chapter Soundtrack - Chapter 1: "Crashed" by Daughtry

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------    

            The rest of the day passed without any further sightings of the new guy, which suited me just fine.  As I headed across the busy parking lot towards my black Jeep Grand Cherokee, I saw my brother Nathan standing a few feet away, his eyes transfixed on something in the distance.  I passed my car and went to stand next to him.  "Everything okay, Nate?"

            He didn't respond, his eyes almost in a hypnotized state by something obviously far more interesting than me.  I followed his gaze and my eyes fell upon a sleek, grey sports car backing out of a parking spot.  It was a two-door and low to the ground, with headlights that looked more like menacing eyes.  A sharp contrast from the halos possessed by the driver.  As Gabriel Valente maneuvered his vehicle out of the parking space and started speeding our way, I tried desperately to look away.  But like Nathan, I was now also transfixed.  He definitely didn't blend, that was for sure.

            "Of course he would be driving something like an Aston Martin Coupe," Nathan whispered, his voice filled with envy.  "It costs almost twice what dad makes in a year."

            "For a car?" I said, practically choking on the words.

            "That's not just a car," he responded, rolling his light-blue eyes at me.

            "Yeah, well...just think about where that money came from," I muttered, hoping a dose of reality would snap Nathan out of his little reverie.  And maybe snap me out of mine as well.

            As he flew by us, the new guy slightly turned his head and gave me a small grin.  Had I even blinked for a second I would have missed it, but my eyes were open wide and of course, so were Nate's.         

            "Do you know him?" he asked.  His eyes were filled with shock and I was pretty sure disapproval.

            "Gabriel Valente?  No.  Why?" I said, looking him straight in the eyes so it wouldn't seem like I was hiding something.  Which I wasn't.  I knew nothing about the new guy, and if I had any sense I would make sure it stayed that way.

            "Because he just smiled at you," Nathan replied, giving me an irritated expression.

            "So he smiled at me.  I'm sure he smiles at every random girl that crosses his path.  The guy is probably the definition of a player."  I walked back to my car and climbed into the front seat, not waiting for him to respond.  "Do you need a ride home?"

            "No, I'm going over to Andy's.  You're sure you don't know him?" he pressed.

            "What if I did, Nathan?" I asked, now annoyed that my baby brother was policing my personal life, or lack thereof.

            "In case you missed it, Athena, the guy is bad news.  What is it with you?  Isn't one experience with the wrong kind of guy enough for you or do you need to learn your lesson all over again?"

            I couldn't believe he had thrown the debacle with Jackson in my face.  Wasn't it part of the family member rulebook to be supportive?  "That's rich coming from you, Nate.  If you want to start talking about the wrong kind of people, why don't we talk about your disgusting crush on Kristy Spelling," I shot back. 

            "I do not have a crush on her," he cried, quickly looking around to make sure no one had heard.  "And even if I did," he continued in a low voice, "she's hot.  Who could blame me?"