CHAPTER 13: FATE

Chapter Soundtrack - Chapter 13: "F**k Em Only We Know" by Banks

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

            "Okay, let's go over this one more time," I said, pacing back and forth.

            "Athena, enough already," Gretchen moaned.  "We've been over the plan a million times.  I'm confident I've got it down."

            "I just want to make sure we have all our bases covered," I explained.  "I can't take any chances here."

            "Fine," Gretchen muttered, rolling her eyes as she sat up in her queen-sized bed.  "You told your parents you were coming to my house for dinner and that we'd be studying together for our exam tomorrow.  Your car is parked in my driveway, just in case anyone decides to check up on you, which I think is completely unnecessary.  I mean, I know your parents are mad, Athena, but I don't think they're going to be watching your every move."

            "No, my parents won't be watching, but according to my father, the rest of the town will be.  I can't be too careful.  If something goes wrong, it could cause me to really not be able to see Gabe anymore.  I can't let that happen, Gretchen."

            "You really like him, don't you?" she said thoughtfully, more as a statement of fact than a question.

            I smiled at her.  "Not what you expected, huh?  Me falling for, what was your description again?  Oh yeah, the hottest bad boy in this state."

            "Well, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little surprised at how serious things have become," Gretchen answered.  "But like I said before, I think he's good for you.  I can already see this ethereal glow about you, goddess."

            I chuckled.  "I tried to get him to stop calling me that, but he's stubborn."

            "Oh, guess you're not as different as you thought," she said.

            "Guess not," I agreed, grinning.  I glanced at the time on Gretchen's desk clock: 6:45 p.m.  "Time to go," I said.  Gabe and I would be meeting in the parking area of the forest at seven.  Gretchen only lived five minutes away from there, so she would drop me off on her way to her own date.  We were telling her parents we were going to the library to study.  I wasn't comfortable with all the lies, but I had no other choice.  My only other alternative would be to not see Gabe at all and that wasn't an option as far as I was concerned.

            As I sat in the passenger seat of Gretchen's red convertible Beetle, I could hardly contain my anticipation.  The last time I had really spoken to Gabe face-to-face was Sunday morning at Robertson's and it was now Thursday.  Since then, communication between us had only existed via phone conversations, text messages and email.  Between my shifts at work and school, today was the first opportunity I'd actually had some time to meet up with him without it looking suspicious to my parents. 

            One good thing that had come from Gabe and I keeping our distance was the gossip about us was starting to fade.  I was no longer receiving looks of death from Kristy and the rest of the secret service.  Even Jackson had backed off.  I wondered if Gabe turning the tables on him during the chase had shaken him up a little.  Whatever it was, I was glad he was leaving me alone.

            I saw Gabe leaning against his car as we pulled into the clearing.  I instantly felt my breaths start to quicken as I placed my hand on the door handle, ready to jump out as soon as the car stopped.  Before I even had a chance, Gabe opened the door himself, practically pulling me out of the car and into his arms for a quick kiss.