CHAPTER 20: THE LAST CHAPTER

Chapter Soundtrack - Chapter 20: "Run" by Snow Patrol AND "Breathe Again" by Sara Bareilles

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It should have been easy for me to fall asleep that night.  Though I hadn't been able to see or talk to Gabe, I knew he would recover.  Relief from that knowledge let exhaustion to seep into my bones, weighing me down to the point where I practically collapsed onto my bed once I got home, only to stay awake and wonder what was going through Gabe's mind.  My heart and my brain were finally in sync and both were warning me that there could still be casualties of Gabe's shooting.  Just not the physical kind. 

I fully intended to head straight to the hospital the next morning, but as I was brushing my teeth, I received a text from Gabe.  My heart soared.  He still loved me, and he too couldn't go very long without some kind of communication.  But my heart quickly plummeted once I read his message.  

It was only two words, cold, detached and to the point.

Stay home. 

I took a deep breath and swallowed my tears as I texted back. 

Why don't you want to see me?  I love you.  I need to be with you.  

I waited for his response, already foreseeing what his excuses would be for me to stay away.  The press was swarming the hospital, and his father would have arrived by now.  My phone vibrated in my hand and I read his response, starting to shake.  

You don't belong here.  

My heartbreak started to give way to anger. 

I belong with you, always.  And if you think you can keep me away with a few words, than you don't know me.  Or how much I love you.

I closed my eyes, praying that telling him again that I loved him would break through whatever guilt was causing him to push me away.  But his next text nearly shattered me.  

You won't get past security.

I couldn't hold back the tears anymore.  They fell fast and furious as I crawled back into my bed and silently cried, wondering when this nightmare would end.  I would wonder for the next three weeks.  Though Gabe was hell-bent on keeping me away, I didn't give up.  I called and texted him everyday.  He never answered my phone calls and rarely responded to my texts.  His messages were always the same.  Always telling me to stay away.  Always ripping my heart into tiny pieces that I was having trouble putting back together as each day passed. 

I took a chance one day and called the hospital, asking for Francesca.  Luckily she was there and answered my call from the nurse's desk.  I asked about Gabe and she assured me he was healing beautifully and would be released soon.  The real reason I had called her was to ask about my necklace.  She hesitated before answering, saying it wasn't with Gabe's personal belongings.  But her brief pause gave her away and I knew Gabe had told her to lie to me.  

He knew me so well.  Knew I would call to ask about the necklace.  Knew I would be bursting to come see him once he was released from the hospital, therefore making it clear I wasn't to come to his home.  But did he know the anguish and despair I felt at not having seen him for so long?  Did he know that I was living each day just going through the motions, barely registering taking my finals, walking up to the stage to receive my diploma during graduation, faking smiles for my customers at Robertson's, as well as my friends and family? 

The Valente's had kept their promise to keep my name out of the press, and so only my parents, Nathan and Gretchen knew I was even there.  Though I wouldn't have cared if people knew I was with Gabe, I was thankful I didn't have to answer questions or suffer through the pitying looks I surely would have received.