CHAPTER 16: A GRAND GESTURE

Chapter Soundtrack - Chapter 16: "Everything" by Lifehouse  

(Song played by orchestra is Anna by Gunnar Madsen)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I stepped into the carriage, I looked back to see Stella, Tommy and Ben all waving at me, excited smiles on their faces.

"Have fun, Athena," Stella called to me.

"I will," I promised as the carriage driver slowly began steering the horses into the street.  I looked around me, tears in the back of my eyes.  There was no roof to the carriage but there was a folding hood that was raised.  The carriage stood on four black wheels: two large ones in the back and two smaller ones in the front.  The exterior of the carriage was black while the interior seats were swathed in a smooth red velvet material.  I looked ahead to see two snow white horses being guided by the male driver, who glanced back at me a few times to check I was okay.  I closed my eyes and opened them slowly.  It wasn't a dream.  I was really in a horse-drawn carriage, dressed in a beautiful gown, being escorted to the ball I had told Gabe I had always fantasized of. 

After about ten minutes the carriage started to pull into a long, winding pathway.  Up ahead I could see a Victorian-style building.  As we made our way to the front doors, there was a sign which read The Cove Banquet Hall.  Lights lined the landscape and marble statues of angels stood on each side of the entrance.  The driver came around to open the door for me, holding out his hand to help me out.  I carefully placed my feet on the ground and slowly started walking towards the glass doors.   The lobby of the banquet hall had white ceramic tiles and vintage furniture in shades of brown and beige.   There were small candles lit on the tables throughout the entire main area.

A man emerged from a set of doors to my left and approached me.  "Ms. Thorpe, welcome to The Cove," he exclaimed.  "Please follow me." 

As he led me down a long hallway, I tried to calm my nerves.  I was excited to see Gabe but also anxious to see what else was coming. 

The man stopped at another set of doors and turned to face me.  "Right through here," he said, about to open the doors.

"Wait," I cried, stopping him.

"Is there something wrong?"

"Uh, no, it's just...well...I just need a minute.  I can let myself in when I'm ready, if that's okay with you," I added quickly.

He removed his hands from the doorknobs and gave me a small smile.  "Of course, Ms. Thorpe.  Please let me know if you and Mr. Valente need anything."

"We will, thank you," I said, turning to face the double doors as he walked away.  I placed my palms on the doorknobs, still balancing the silver clutch in one hand.  I was nervous about seeing Gabe but was more nervous about what this night might lead to.  I finally took a deep breath, turned the doorknobs and slowly walked into the ballroom. 

It was like I had walked through a time warp.  I had been in a banquet hall before but this one had been transformed into something straight out of an 18th century novel.  I could feel my eyes widening to fully capture my surroundings.  The ballroom was surrounded by high windows on every wall, draped in navy blue material with gold lining.  There were dozens of round tables everywhere, most of them covered with navy and gold linens and candles, all different sizes and shapes.  There was one table near the dance floor that was set up with chairs, two place settings, an extravagant bouquet of white roses and more candles.  Above the marble dance floor was a magnificent crystal chandelier shooting rays of light in every direction.  Finally, my eyes came to rest on the eight-piece orchestra playing on the stage.  The melodic sounds flowing from the instruments made the vision surrounding me that much more surreal.