Four - Opening Up

Oliver though about his argument with Thea for a long time. He thought about all the different things that she had said to him, how he shouldn't carry his past on his shoulders, how he needed to talk about it. Felicity was sitting beside him, helping him catch up on Survivor. He started to push all his thought to the back of his mind and tried to enjoy the show. It was just like the night before, when they were watching it before the party. They were both making comments about the contestants and their idiotic strategies.

It felt nice, just sitting there with her, like they had been doing it forever. Maybe he could tell her about the years he spent at war. Maybe she might understand how much all of it had affected him. No, he couldn't do that to her. He couldn't do that to anyone.

"You okay Oliver?" Felicity's voice snapped him out of his thoughts. "Uh, yeah, yeah I'm fine." She raised an eyebrow. "You are terrible at lying." Oliver looked down at his hands, his thumbs moving around each other. "Thea and I had a fight." He said quietly. Her expression went from unimpressed to concerned in milliseconds. "Oh, well, are you okay?" He shook his head. "What was it about?" She asked. He looked up at her. Her hand was hovering over his back, ready to try and comfort him as best she could. "She was pushing me to tell her about the war." Felicity's hand touched his back, rubbing circles on it soothingly.

She did this for a while and suddenly stopped. He looked back up at her and saw curiosity in her eyes. Oliver waits for her to say something. He knows she has touched a scar, she would have felt the change underneath her hand. "Is that what you were fighting about?" She asked. He nodded. She resumed rubbing the circles on his back. "Don't worry about it, Thea is Thea and she-" Felicity stopped, thinking about the right way to put it. "She thinks she can understand everyone. And I love her for trying to help. She's just approaching things wrong." Oliver looked back at his hands. "She's very impatient and you need a bit of time before you can open up to anyone." He reached up and wrapped his arms around her. "Thank you." He said softly. "It's fine, I just want to make sure you're okay."

They stayed there hugging for a while, taking comfort from one another. Oliver eventually pulled back a little bit. Felicity was really helping him through this. He decided that she deserved to know what she wanted to know. "Look, if you want to know anything, just tell me." Oliver offered. Her eyes went wide. "But, are you ready to do this. I mean, I want to know but, just when you're ready to reveal anything." He put a hand on her shoulder. "You've really helped me in the short time I've been back, you deserve to know."

Oliver stood up and took his shirt off, showing Felicity the torture his body had been through. Her hand flew to her mouth and she stood up as well. He could see the tears forming in her eyes, threatening to spill over. "Oliver, oh god-" She couldn't speak, it didn't surprise him either. He knew that this was shocking. Her hand reached out, hovering above his chest. She looked at him, asking for permission to touch the scars. He nodded.

She touched the scar on his stomach, slowly running her fingers along it. "Machete. I was captured by the enemy on my first year and tortured by a man in a black and white mask." She continued up to his chest, laying her fingers on the circular scar. "I got shot with an arrow in my third year, the doctors told me I shouldn't have survived that, but I'm still here." He saw a tear slip down her cheek.

Felicity touched the bite mark above his hip bone. "What was this one? Bear, shark?" She asked. "Coyote, it attacked me in my sleep in my fourth year. A friend had to pull it off me." She moved behind him. Her fingers trailed up to his left shoulder blade. Oliver knew what she was going to ask next. "Where did you ge-" He had moved away and pulled on his shirt, quickly buttoning it up again. "I'm not ready to talk about that yet." His voice was extremely low. He turned and saw Felicity nodding, pushing her glasses back up her nose. "Thank you for, uh, opening up to me." She said quietly before rushing upstairs.

Oliver sat back on the couch. He hoped he hadn't upset Felicity with his reaction. He couldn't even bear to think about how he got that mark, yet the thought came to him all the time. Fast footsteps rushed towards him. "Oliver! What the hell did you do?!" Thea screamed at him. He looked at her in confusion. "What do you mean?" He asked calmly. "You really don't know what I'm talking about." She said angrily, crossing her arms. Oliver shook his head. Thea laughed humourlessly. "Of course you don't, you don't seem to care." He took a step forward. "What are you talking about Thea." He asked, the calm in his voice fading. "Felicity. She's in her room, crying! Now, it wasn't me and you're the only other person here." She jabbed his chest with her finger.

Oliver brushed past Thea and ran upstairs. He sprinted to Felicity's room and knocked on the door. "Who is it?" He heard her say. He heard her sniffle afterwards. "It's Oliver, can I come in?" He waited for her response. "Uh, yeah. Come in." He opened the door and saw Felicity sitting on her bed, pushing a tissue underneath her glasses to wipe away the tears. "Did I upset you?" Was the first thing he asked. Felicity shook her head. "No, no I just-" She wiped away another tear as he sat beside her. "I can't imagine the pain you went through in those five years. I thought you had it pretty good from what you said in the letters."

He put a hand on her shoulder, rubbing soothing circles on it with his thumb. "The letters I sent told you I was okay, that's all you needed to know to still believe I was coming home." Felicity nodded. "You were right, we were all so worried and when Robert died everything went downhill. When we got a letter from you everyone was just so relieved." Felicity laughed a little. "I actually made a book of all the things you sent, which wasn't much but, it helped me through everything. Took my mind off all the crap going on." Oliver just kept rubbing his thumb on her shoulder.

"I remember getting this one letter from you. I was the only one who saw it actually. Moira was at QC and Thea was, you don't wanna know what Thea was doing. It was really loud though, very distracting. Anyway, I read it and smiled when you said you had made friends. I laughed when you wrote about playing soccer with the kids and how they beat you. That was the longest letter you sent, it still wasn't that long though." Oliver smiled at the happy memory that he had to tell them about. "I'm glad it got here." He said. Felicity smiled at him.

"Guys, get down here, now!" Thea yelled from downstairs. They both got up, Oliver's hand falling from her shoulder. "We better go." Felicity said. They both ran out the door and down the stairs. "Look at the news." Thea ordered, her hand covering her mouth and tears falling from her face.

'Tommy Merlyn has been kidnapped from his girlfriend Laurel Lances' apartment. The two were on a date when three men burst through the door and attacked them both, Charlotte Higgins is at the scene.'

Laurel popped up on the screen, tears streaming down her cheeks.

'Thanks Greg, I'm here with Laurel Lance at her apartment. Miss Lance, could you explain to us what happened?

"Th-the men they broke down the door. They knocked me out and they took Tommy. They took him"

'Thank you Miss Lance, we will report more on this case as it develops.'

Oliver turned to Felicity and Thea to see both of them crying. "I'm gonna go see if Laurel's okay." He said quietly before going upstairs to his room. He had hidden one case from everyone and that was the case he needed now. Oliver pulled it out from under his bed and undid the latches. Inside he found his wooden bow with brass knuckles on the handhold. He also found his dark green quiver full of arrows and a dark green leather jacket with a large hood and matching pants. The hood would easily cover his face.

He wore the leather while he was on extremely secret missions that even his commanders didn't know about. Nobody knew he was the man in green except Slade and her. Oliver quickly put on the leather costume and jumped out his window. He jumped on his motorcycle and left the manor from the back, so Felicity and Thea and wouldn't see him.

Oliver knew who the masked men were, he had encountered them a few times at war. He rode to the factory where he knew they would be. He wove in and out of traffic, ignoring the honks he got from various cars. Oliver finally pulled up outside the old Starling City Canning Factory. This was the start of something he couldn't go back on.

__________________________
Beginning of the Arrow...

Hope you're enjoying the story so far! I love writing it! Sorry this chapter is a bit short, I've just been sick and really tired.

-Ashlea