Chapter one

I was a girl on a mission. This morning I had made contact with my target's best friend, Tamlyn. After AP history, I hurried to her side. She stared at me like I wasn't wearing any clothes.

"What's up, Tamlyn?" I asked, following her to one of the windowsill seats. I knew the both of us had a free period. She pushed her curls behind her ears.

"Uh, nothing. What's up with you?" She glanced at me once more, before sliding into one of the seats, placing her backpack on the table. "I need some physics help, it's the only subject I really suck at," I told her, moving into the seat across from her. "Oh, I get that. It's one of the hardest subjects." Tamlyn's tone became friendlier as the reason behind my actions were clear to her now. "Unfortunately, I'm just as bad at physics as you are," She told me. I tilted my head. "Really? I thought you were at the top of the class." I pulled my agenda out of my backpack."That's because of Rose. You know, my best friend? She's the smartest one in the class. She gives me extra lessons," Tamlyn explained. To be honest, I already knew that. People always think the reason why I'm lousy at AP physics is that I'm always zoning out. That's not exactly what happens. I'm just observing Tamlyn's best friend, Briar-Rose, as she works. I can't help it, she's smart and pretty. Although I can't say I was any better at physics when she was out sick. "Do you think she'd give me a few extra lessons? I need the perfect grades if I want to get into the vet course." Tamlyn's brow furrowed. "Well, you do hang out with the clique that makes fun of her...""I can promise you those are not my friends," I blurted, causing her to raise an eyebrow."Then why are they always around you?" My shoulders slumped as I sighed."One of my friends is dating one of them. We don't get it either." Tamlyn gave me a cautious smile. After a moment, she mumbled "Okay.""Well, it's always worth a shot. She doesn't like people giving out her number though, so I could tell you where to find her after school." After I agreed to that, she explained how to locate Briar-Rose.

"Hey, Briar-Rose!" I shouted from my car, recognising the auburn-haired girl who was stepping off the bus. She pulled out an earbud, dropped it down her sweater, and looked at me.

"Hi, Lance. Are you going to make fun of me too? I just met your Christmas dance date." Oh crap. Right. Owen Thompson. I've been suspecting that his height is partly due to the chunky Air-Max sneakers he always wears. I know most girls tend to swoon over tall guys, but with his 6'4 I still wasn't interested in his bland face. With his sand-coloured hair and brown eyes, I wouldn't be able to pick him out of a tall crowd. If he stopped wearing his football sweatsuit. Does he sleep in that thing? Back to my point. He asked me to the dance and I didn't mind his company so I agreed to go with him. My friends always say I should be pickier about who I go out with, and maybe they're right. He's not that good-looking, Briar-Rose was more attractive.

"Hello? Earth to Lance?" Briar-Rose waved her hand in front of my face. In the time I was thinking she crossed the street. Now, she was standing in front of my car window.

"Oh, uh, sorry." I turned the key in the ignition, before glancing up at her again. "I was just going to ask you if you could help me with my Physics homework. I know you take the honours class too so I'm sure you could figure it out." She considered it. Shifting her weight from foot to foot, her eyebrows scrunched together. I had to win her over somehow. Yet, my thoughts kept grinding to a halt. My mind awfully vacant and my eyes stuck on the baby-blue sweater slipping off her shoulder.

"We can do it at my place, and I'll buy you boba tea every time you help me!" I blurted. Briar-Rose's eyes locked with mine and I had to pull myself out of them. Dang, I didn't know they were that pretty. Oh sue me, I'm intelligent, just not when I am near pretty people. Pinching the skin on my hand helped me focus, and I could look back up at her.

"Okay fine. But if we're going to do this, you have to do some things." Wow, that sounds a bit shady, now I'm curious about what happens inside her mind. "I'm listening." I needed her help! I was absolutely horrible at the stupid subject, my last grade was a 45/100. I'm a great student apart from that, it's the only blemish on my record. Good universities care about all subjects, so I needed to take it to a higher level. "You're going to call me Rose. You're going to make the popular kids stop commenting on my sexuality. And you're going to help me get ready for the Christmas dance." Those all sounded pretty okay so I agreed with that and she gave me her number. Then she was off to her ballet class.A/NHello everyone, I'm Chu! If you enjoy this story, please consider giving it a vote! Thank you very much