Chapter four

"Okay so I'm allowed to stay over but it does mean that I'll have to borrow some pyjamas from you and stuff." She ran her hands through her loose hair. My heart jumped at the confirmation. "What are we having?" She added. I grabbed her hand and pulled her with me to the kitchen, nearly tripping as we went down the stairs. The tense grip of her fingers confirmed that she didn't want to let go either. My mind threw me an image flash of Rose holding hands with her ex-girlfriend at the last prom. Why do brains work that way?

"On a scale of one to ten, how much do you like pasta?" I asked as I looked through the messy drawers. Since we're a large family, we had a lot of food. It didn't help that my two brothers were only home once every other week. They're messy people, it's in their nature. My mother loved to cook large meals, which was quickly solved by me inviting the swim team whenever we have a home match. My dad is a snack lover so there are many kinds of snacks everywhere.

"Like a solid eight?" Rose asked whilst she adjusted my grip on her soft hand. Wait, we're holding hands. Like a cute gay couple. All the neurons in my brain paused. "Sara? Are you okay?" I'd frozen halfway through a drawer of vegetables, my hand on a box of bell peppers. I felt her thumb brush over the top of my hand. "Yeah sorry, I'm just getting used to the idea of being not straight. Since, well, I'm enjoying this." I gestured with my hand in hers. Rose giggled. "You know, holding hands with a girl isn't that gay." Oh my god, can I be more obvious? I might as well write 'I am interested in you' on my forehead in permanent marker."I know. But this is."

 I grabbed her by the chin and kissed her. I know I know. It's quick and sudden and extremely gay but listen to me; I couldn't resist her any longer. At first, she froze, but then she gave in and kissed me back. Best impulse ever. Then we stopped and it was awkward. She quickly pulled back her hand but it didn't help because I'd pushed her against the kitchen counter.

"Oh my geez." She said. I just laughed. "I think I've been wanting to do that for a while now. I'm sorry if I made you uncomfortable or if you don't like me. By the way, the first time I ever kissed a girl." I did not think that through, but at the same time I didn't want to move my body away from her. I could see her big brown eyes well from here. "I. Uhm. Well, the kiss was nice. It's been a while since I kissed someone. I was pretty comfortable. And I think I like you back but I don't really know much about you. We don't exactly hang out in the same social circles. Also, I'm hungry." Her last sentence caused us both to laugh.

"Hey, do you mind if I explore your house? I enjoy learning about people using their homes," she spoke, standing upright.

"If you don't mind me watching you," I replied. She smiled."Okay.""But I am hungry." So we compromised. She started in the kitchen cupboard I had already opened. She just commented on human tendencies and our familial preferences. It was a way of getting to know her, as she learned about my family."I'm always entertained by cultural differences. Like I don't see any of the veggies we use most." She said, gently moving the boxes and bags. "Well, what veggies do you use the most?" I wondered, putting some vegetables on the counter that we could put in the sauce. "Mostly Bok Choy, Daikon radish, and lemongrass. There's more but I only know the Korean names for them." She proceeded to close the drawer and opened the next one."Bloody hell, those are a lot of snacks." She said, standing up and shooting me a look."I'm a swimmer!" I shrugged, cutting up my veggies. "Plus my dad mostly eats the starchy ones." I watched as she peered at the split of healthy and unhealthy snacks. "See the great thing is that in my culture, snacks are often fruit or dried up fruit. I could bring you some non-fruit snacks to try if you'd like." She offered. I smiled at her."Yes, that'd be awesome." Then I realised I hadn't offered her a drink.

"Hey Rose, would you like something to drink as I handle the veggies?" I said.

"Yeah, sure. If you want I could make us some tea." She started looking for mugs and a kettle. I pointed at the places where she could find them and helped her pick a teabag. As I cut up the bell peppers, cucumber, and tomatoes, Rose made a pot of tea and boiled our pasta.