Evacuation

A few days after the news was spread about the severe blizzard that was to hit, Alex, Oscar and Anne have all been helping around the house to gather all of their supplies and personal belongings for when they would get picked up by a helicopter. They all simultaneously rushed around the house on a late Thursday night to get everything ready for the evacuation.

Alex looked at Oscar and Anne with sadness in his eyes. He didn't want to leave his home, where he and Oscar raised Anne. He knew it was destined to happen someday, he just never realised how sooner it would be. As they all filled their suitcases until they were difficult to shut they sat down at the breakfast table in the marble kitchen for possibly the last time.

They were already wearing many layers of clothing on at that moment to be prepared as it had already started to slowly snow. As they all sat at the table eating toast Anne turned on the television and skipped through the channels until it landed on the news channel.

"Big development in the blizzard story, it turns out that the blizzard is due to hit in a matter of hours. We need all families to evacuate right now. The helicopters won't stay for long due to the extreme conditions that might be caused by the blizzard. Please, you need to go right n-" The weatherman is cut off when the television shuts off itself.

Along with the television, the lights and water had stopped being supplied. Alex looked outside his window and all throughout the neighborhood street lamps and houses faded into darkness one at a time. Alex looked out the window with a shocked expression as screams had begun being heard. The electricity had been cut off.

Anne shook in fear as the city was plunged into an early darkness. Oscar was quick to pick her up and embrace her as she held Theo in her hands. Alex looked over at him with an upset look as if to say: "We need to go as soon as possible." All Oscar did was faintly nod as he grabs Anne's bag.

Alex decided to carry his own bag along with Oscar's seeing as though he was carrying Anne aswell. They headed out of the door into the chaotic outdoors. People ran through the streets screaming in fear, people were running and pushing to the road that led to where the helicopter would be. Before Alex could collect himself Oscar had already ran out into the large crowd.

Alex was quick to find them around all of the other people who were parading the streets in search of safety. Before long he had caught up with Oscar and Anne. Oscar was panting heavily and Anne's face streamed with tears, it hurt Alex to see his daughter look so upset and lost. When Oscar stopped to breathe Alex took Anne from his arms and held her in his as she shook.

"We're going to be okay, alright? You, me and Daddy will be safe in no time. I promise." Alex hugged Anne close as she wiped away her tears. Oscar looked at the two and smiled before taking Anne back into his arms. Soon enough they all started running again, flowing through the thin layer of snow.

Soon enough they came across a helicopter and smiled widely with joy as they ran closer to it. Alex helped Oscar and Anne get into the helicopter and as he started to climb on Anne started to shake and cry.

"I-I dropped Theo somewhere." She tried to hold back her tears as the fathers too had noticed that she was no longer holding onto Theo. Alex gave Oscar his bag and stepped off the helicopter.

"The hell do you think you're doing?!" Oscar quickly grabs hold of Alex's hand as he looks at him with worry.

"I'm going to find Theo, our daughter deserves that much." Alex looks down before looking back at his husband. Oscar looked deep into Alex's eyes before letting go of his hand. He pulled Alex close to him by his shirt and gave him a soft kiss on his vanilla lips.

"I love you, Alex. Be careful and hurry back." A single tear sprung from his eye and Alex looked back up to him with a smile.

"I love you too, Oscar. I'll be back with Theo, okay?" He gestures towards Anne and smiles as she wiped her tears away. Alex then ran off into the foggy distance out of sight.

He continued running as fast as he could, retracing his steps looking out for Theo; he kept running quicker as he looked for the teddy, his heart beating inside his chest fast. Soon enough in the distance he saw a pinch of pink amongst the bleach white snow. Alex ran faster at the sight of the bear and tripped onto the ground beside it.

When he looked up he saw the blizzard edging towards him, his mouth gaped as he grabbed hold of Theo and jumped to his feet. He started running as quickly as possible; he was too scared to look back behind him. Although the shooting pain from his foot hurt with every step, he continued pushing as he was determined to get back to his family.

While on the helicopter Oscar and Anne wait anxiously for Alex to show up but they're frightened when the helicopter started making loud beeping noises and as they saw the blizzard in the distance. Before any of them knew it the helicopter had began to take off still without Alex onboard. Oscar immediately stood up in a state of worry.

"Hey! There's still someone down there you can't leave yet!" He yelled as tears trailed down his face. The policemen that helped people get onboard simply ignored him. Oscar sat down and began crying, Anne sat on his lap and wrapped her arms around his neck as she rested her head on his chest.

Alex had finally arrived where the helicopter was originally but found that it had left without him. With the blizzard drawing closer, he dropped to his knees and let out a silent cry as he shivered. He collapsed onto his side; planting himself in the snow and as he saw the blizzard come to him he slowly closed his eyes and he was left in darkness.