Danger

Alex awoke hours later, the tears now crystallized on his face and stuck there, frozen and hard to remove. His first instincts were to grab the pocket knife and remove the frozen tears from his face. He stuck the thin blade wherever the tip would be willing to fit and he pressed the tears from his face, ripping skin, flowing blood. The sting was intense and it made him flinch on more than one occasion. The sign that it was only getting colder was now obvious to Alex as up until this point, nothing from his body was frozen completely.

He looked over at Lucas' dead body, and then to Champion. Who was curled in a ball sleeping on the wooden floor. The two hadn't eaten in a few days and lacked a lot of energy that was definitely needed to continue the journey they were still yet to complete. So Alex grabbed Lucas' gun and put it in the pocket of his insolated sweatpants, he patted Champion's head, which woke the dog; he instantly looked up at Alex and licked his nose. Alex smiled yet he shook at the surprising coldness of Champion's tongue against his small, red nose.

Both Alex and Champion then stood up and made their way down to the first floor of the now desolate house, Alex looked out of a broken window to see that the second blizzard was finished and seemed to have left even deeper snow than the one before. When Alex went to the door, it swung open by itself after he only turned the handle and opened it a crack; sending in a large pile of snow that was pressed against the door. Alex used his gloved hands to make a pathway outside for him and Champion to go through.

Then the two stepped into the bleached white terrain, It was even colder than before, Alex could feel how cold it was as soon as he set foot outside. Even Champion with his thick coat shook as he walked through the snow. Alex wondered to himself as they continued onwards into the snowy mist about how long he had before all of the systems in his body would shut down,the knew they would eventually due to the fact that the cold could be freezing his blood as he treaded through the cold hell. He was terrified for his life.

He and Champion soon came across a small plot of land that had trees on it. Alex had no idea where he was but he definitely knew that there wasn't a spot in the city that had something like this. He knew he was getting closer. He entered this dense forest type area with Champion, he slowed down in the possible chance that something was out there. They crept further into the forest with hesitance, Alex shook not only with a lack of heat; but fear too. He had no idea what was out there. That was the scariest part.

They stepped deeper and deeper into the white forest, no sounds apart from the swaying of leaves could be heard as the two continued in pursuit of safety. Champion's head suddenly jerked upward; he had heard something among the trees, the dog stopped in his tracks and sniffed the air. Alex shook as he looked back at Champion who had began growling as he twisted his body to look in different directions.

"Champion, w-what is it?" Alex asked as he shivered and looked at Champion. At this point Alex was completely turned around before he heard growling coming from behind him, he noticed that Champion was now looking in the direction that Alex was faced away from. He very slowly turned to see a pack of four dogs, they looked malnourished and ready to eat what they could. Champion stepped back  as the dogs stepped forward, closer to Alex. Alex jerked backwards with fear plain in his eyes, his heart thumping in his chest. He reached for the gun in his pocket and pulled it out and he started to yell.

"Get the f-fuck away! Get!" Alex yelled, this only angered the dogs and the biggest dog of the pack ran and jumped at Alex, causing him to fall. The others decided to join the big dog and they all began attacking Alex. Biting his legs and hands, scarring his face, ripping his clothes. Alex screamed as the dogs viciously attacked him. Suddenly Champion ran in growling loudly and jumped in the big dog, the two began barking and biting eachother, Champion managed to dig his teeth into one of the dog's back legs; the dog couldn't stand so Champion turned to the other dogs, which had now drawn their attention over to Champion. Leaving Alex in blood.

The three other dogs pounced onto Champion, sending him to the floor. But Champion fought hard and got back to his feet and biting the stomach of one of the dogs, killing it and making blood seep into the snow. Champion was then bit in the leg by the big dog, sending him again to the floor. The dogs bit his stomach. Then Alex got to his feet with a big scratch covering his face, a limp arm, and blood flowing down his leg. He brought up the gun and shot the two dog's on top of Champion as he layed still.

Alex formed tears in his eyes as he turned to the big dog and shot him too, the blood all mixing in the snow, with some now sprayed on the trees. He then dropped to his knees beside a beaten Champion, bite marks swarmed his neck, face and legs. Champion lifted his head to look at a beaten Alex.

"Y-you're going to be okay, you here me? Fuck." Alex felt his wounds rip more with every slight movement of his body. Champion simply continued to look at Alex with pain in his eyes. Alex began crying.

"Champion, please. I can't lose you. You're the only friend I've had through this. Please." Alex whimpered as tears stung the scratch on his face. Champion, with what energy he had left, lifted his head and licked Alex's nose before placing his head gently in the snow.

"Champion? Champion! No! Champion.." Alex screamed and yelled as he knelt over Champion's body, he stroked his head as tears ran down his face. Alex then placed his forehead on Champion's stomach as he cried and whimpered. He grabbed the gun and put it up to his chin quickly and pulled the trigger. All he heard was a clicking noise and nothing else. The gun was empty.

He dropped the gun and held his head in his hands as he screamed in pain. Alex's friend had died, and he couldn't do anything about it.