Chapter 3

[🔗] <Click the external link after reading the chapter

It Was Supposed To Be Perfect

Pike's communicator rings, picking it up "Yes?".

"Dad?"

"Ella?" Pike can hear the worried tone in her voice.

"Is Jim still with you, he hasn't come home and we had a date, like two hours ago." she rushes saying, pacing around Jim's apartment.

"No, but I think I know where he is." Pike says, trying to calm his daughter's nerves.

"Dad, did something happen?" Eleanor asks, not calming down one bit.

"I think it's best you hear it from Jim sweetheart, I'll find him okay?"

"Okay, and dad?"

"yes sweetheart?"

"I love you."

"I love you more."

"I love you most." Eleanor says, then ending the call and closing her communicator.

'What's going on Jim?' Eleanor thought, biting her lip and looking out the window.

Pike enters the bar, looking around for Jim, he sees him sitting at the bar. Walking over to him he sits beside him. Hearing someone sit next to him Jim looks over, sighing when he sees it's Pike.

"How did you find me?" Jim asks, not looking at him.

"I know you better than you think I do." Pike says, placing his cane on the bar in front of him and ordering himself a drink. "The first time I found you was in a dive like this. Remember that? You got your ass handed to you.".

Jim's face scrunches up a bit "No, I didn't.".

"You don't?" Pike looks at him in amusement.

"No, that's not what happened." Jim says, shaking his head.

"That was an epic beating."

"No, it wasn't." Jim says, still trying to deny it.

"You had napkins hanging out of your nose. Did you not?" This makes both of the chuckle. Jim smiles at the memory, that was the night he met Eleanor, the night that changed his life, "Yeah, that was a good fight.".

"A good fight." Pike shakes his head, "I think that's your problem right there.".

There was a short silence, before Pike decided it was time to tell him, "They gave her back to me. The Enterprise.".

Jim pauses, taking a moment to gather his thoughts, "Congratulations." Jim says, grabbing a bottle and pouring more into his glass, "Watch your back with that First Officer, though.".

"Spock's not going to be working with me. He's been transferred. USS Bradbury." Pike tells him.

"You're going to be my First Officer." that made Jim look over at him, confusion evident on his face, "Yeah, Marcus took some convincing. But every now and then I can make a good case.".

"What did you tell him?".

"The truth. That I believe in you." Pike says, "That if anybody deserves a second chance, it's Jim Kirk.", Jim looks like he's trying his best not to cry. He's not going back to the academy, and sure he won't be captain anymore, but he won't have to leave Eleanor.

"I don't know what to say." Jim almost whispers.

"That is a first." Pike jokes.

Thinking about Eleanor reminds Jim about their date. Jim sighs "I forgot about my and Eleanor's date."

"Yeah she did say something about a date." Pike says, taking a sip of his drink.

"You talked to her?" Jim looks over at Pike.

"She called me, said you didn't come home." looking over at Jim he continues, "She sounded really worried.".

Jim looks down, feeling very guilty. "And tonight was supposed to be special too.".

"Why's that?" Pike asks, setting his drink down.

Jim pulls out a small black box from his pocket, he hands it to Pike.

Opening it Pike sees a ring, shaped like a disk with diamonds circling the outside of it, with one bigger diamond in the middle.

"I was going to ask Eleanor to marry me today." Jim says with a sigh, not looking at Pike.

"It's a nice ring." Pike says, looking at it with many different emotions.

"It kinda reminded me of the enterprise." he downs the last bit of his drink, "It was supposed to be perfect, now it's all ruined."

Pike closes the small box, handing it back to Jim, who puts it back into his pocket.

"It's going to be okay, son.".

Just then Pike's communicator goes off, pulling it out of his pocket and looking at it, "Emergency session, Daystrom." Pike says, looking at Jim "That's us.".

"Yeah." Jim says, very quietly.

"Suit up." Pike says, getting up out of his chair and heads for the door.