The Spawns | Chapter XXII -- I'm Not the Third Wheel

THE SPAWNS

I'm Not the Third Wheel

Chapter XXII—Jayden

© DarknessAndLight

I still hadn’t looked at Maika in the eyes since I had woken up with her on top of me, my morning wood poking in her hip.

If it had only been the morning wood I might have been able to deal with it, but I also had been dreaming about her before waking up, the kind of dream only Summer Glau should be starring in. Like I needed one more reason to be uncomfortable around my bestfriend. And the worst thing was I had no idea how Maika had ended up on top of me. I perfectly recalled falling asleep with her beside me. Had I reached for her during the night and dragged her on top of me? What was wrong with me? Normally, waking up with Maika in my arms, erection or not, wouldn’t have been such a big deal. Seriously! What was going on?

“TOUCH ME, TOUCH ME, I WANNA FEEL YOUR BODY!” Maika sang beside me while doing cartwheels in the big field.  

Cole was trying to show her some kind of freaky ninja move and Maika had been less than cooperative all morning long.

And I was just being lazy, laying on the ground, with my sun glasses hiding my weak, hangover eyes from the blazing sun.

“Seriously, Mai, if you don’t want to practice, we can just skip it,” Cole whined for the ninth time—I was counting.

“No, no, no, no. Don’t! I’m totally going to nail it this time,” she squealed happily.

I chuckled at the way she was saying it. She totally wasn’t going to be cooperative again. Cole obviously realized it too, because he groaned in exasperation.

I couldn’t see what they were doing because they were doing their thing basically at the back of my head, but I could hear they weren’t that far.

“Get ready on three, Obi-Wan-Cole-Booby!” Maike shouted.

“I DON’T TRUST YOU, CRAZY WOMAN!” Cole yelled back.

I chuckled, wanting to see this. I lifted my glasses off my eyes and turned my head a little to look towards my back, just in time to see Maika doing her flips and basically, I froze and at one point her face was right over mine and she was flipping over me. It was kind of freakingly eerie. She just front flipped over my whole upper body and landed right on top of me, straddling my hips.

“Jesus fuck, Mai!” I yelled, trying to get up but she pushed my shoulders down.

“Oh no, Jesus never fucked Mai,” she said in a sing-song voice. “No one ever fucked Mai.” And then, because she was my best friend Maika, and because being inappropriate was pretty much her sole purpose of existence she started to roll her hips. “Oooh Jay-Jay-Poo, is that Hardy in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?”

This time I managed to push her off of me, while she just laughed hysterically. “Would you stoooop?” I whined.

She lay on her stomach, propping her chin in the palm of her hands, her elbows resting on the ground, her legs kicking up and down in the air, grinning at me. “I can totally give you a hand if you want help to deal with that problem!”

I pushed her face off her palms and looked away. “You’re getting more and more inappropriate by the second.”

I still couldn’t look in her eyes. Maika was my best friend. Her and Cole and Belly knew me better than anyone else, but sometimes it felt like Maika not only got me but knew exactly what to say to annoy me, or to comfort me. Sometimes it felt like she was in my head, and the thing was, I didn’t want her in my head right now, because I was thinking about that dream I shouldn’t have had and I felt bad. My unconscious was making me into a shitty friend. Maika simply couldn’t know about this because I would never hear the end of it. Same reason why she would never know who it was I was thinking about that very awkward time when I was thirteen.