The Spawns | Chapter XII -- One Simple Kiss

THE SPAWNS

One Simple Kiss

Chapter XII—Lilibeth

© DarknessAndLight

I patted Cole’s back awkwardly as he squeeze the life out of me. When he finally set me down on my feet, I had to take a second to find my breath.

“What was that for?” I asked, breathlessly. The hug had been so sudden that I hadn’t even had the time to truly enjoy it, truly enjoy being in his arm and I was suddenly very disappointed.

Cole didn’t answer. He just shook his head, turned around and walked back to the stairs.

When he was standing in the middle and everyone was looking at him like he had lost his mind, he turned and looked at us. “Everybody needs to start minding their own god damn business!” he exclaimed loudly. Nikki was coming down, looking confused, at the boy.

Cole groaned in exasperation as everyone just stared dumbly at him and he ran back to his room.

Cole’s parents looked at each other and laughed. Mama looked at them, trying to understand. Jayden was scratching his head, confused. But then, Papa was gazing my way, with raised eyebrows. I bit my tongue, refraining from screaming at him to stop.

“I should go see what’s going on,” Jay trailed, taking a step forward. Everyone was greeting each other and the little incident was already forgotten.

I put my hand on his arm, stopping him. “No, I’ll go.”

My brother frowned. Please don’t ask questions, please don’t ask questions. “You sure?”

I nodded. “Yes, go talk with Nikki,” I pressed him. He had been blabbing during the entire car ride that he needed to talk to Nikki about something, and that he couldn’t wait to see her. Honestly, I think he was planning something stupid. I had my little idea on what it was, and it wasn’t making me happy, not on bit.

            Ignoring everyone else in the room, I just smiled shyly at them, and hurried towards the stairs.

When I walked in Cole’s room, he was lying on his bed, one of his arms thrown over his face, hiding it. Fluffy was sitting on the pillows by his head, looking at him and patting his head. I couldn’t help but smiling at the sight. “Everyone seems to be under the impression that I’m gay,” Cole suddenly said. He must have heard me walk in.

I walked up to his bed and lay beside him. “Well, I know you’re not.”

He turned his head and peeked from under his arms slightly. “Do you know of an effective way to pass along that bit of knowledge to everyone downstairs?”

Maybe you should kiss me passionately in the middle of the dinning room. My cheeks flushed just for having that thought.

            Cole frowned a little, still gazing in my eyes. “What?” Obviously, he had seen the blood rushing to my cheeks. It just made me blush more. He propped himself on his elbow, his face hovering over mine, his eyebrows furrowing slightly. “What is it?” he pressed.

Oh god, could he just stop looking at me?

My wish wasn’t granted though, because he only did worse. Cole pressed his palm against my cheek, and then his fingers slowly trailed under my chin, and his thumb and forefinger rested at the top of it, softly, holding my face in place so I wouldn’t look away. My breath caught in my throat. “You’re too beautiful” he whispered so softly I barely heard it. But I did. My heart beat so fast I thought it was going to rip out of my ribcage. Cole’s face was still slightly hovering over mine. I could taste his breath on my lips. And I couldn’t move, even if I should have. “You shouldn’t be this beautiful, it’s too painful.”