3

Half an hour later, my muscles were warm and loose. My head had stopped throbbing, and the only evidence of the morning's misfortunes were some nasty looking bruises where that bastard's fingernails had dug into my chest.

My apartment was full of boxes, my furniture haphazardly placed, but it didn't matter. I'd done it. I'd made the break from London. Monday would be the start of my new accountancy business. Everything was falling into place.

If I could just forget the dreams. And the hallucinations. And the silver mist. Ok, so not everything was falling into place. But some things were, and that was enough.

Halfway through applying my mascara, I heard a knock. Evan. After a quick glance in the mirror and a ruffle of my hair to separate the curls, I ran to the door.

Pale blue eyes twinkled with good-humour as he offered me a small bunch of daisies. "You look good," he said, eyes lingering on me just a fraction too long.

I couldn't help the smile that spread on my face when I noticed how similarly we were dressed. Worn out blue jeans, old band shirts. Even our Converse were the same colour. I pulled my hoodie on, and led the way out of the priory.

"We'll take my car," Evan called when I started in the direction of the bus stop. "I've got a table booked at a great little vegetarian restaurant in town."

"Cool. Are you vegetarian?"

"No, but the owners are friends of mine."

"Mates rates, nice."

Silence descended as I desperately tried to think of some safe topic of conversation. It was hard. Every time the car jolted my top rubbed against the wounds on my chest. Despite my best efforts to be discreet, Evan had noticed my winces. His concerned glances were beginning to grate on my nerves.

We pulled up in front of a green facade with hand painted vine leaves and flowers travelling up the sides of the large front widow. 'Hazel's' was written on the sign. Warmth seeped out onto the street, beckoning us inside, out of the dark, wet night.

Evan skipped up the two steps and held the door open with a sweeping bow. As I walked past, he looked up from his chivalrous pose and winked. A giggle bubbled out before I could clamp shut my mouth. A couple of people looked up and smiled, thinking we were a couple in the first flush of a new romance.

Low tables and comfortable sofas and armchairs filled the room. Large patchwork throws and crochet cushions were strewn around on the seating. Each table had a colourful cloth, a small bunch of wild flowers and some tea lights in pretty silver holders.

But it was the floor that really caught your attention. A beautiful mosaic in the centre of the room depicted a magnificent Tree of Life with large entwined roots at one end, and lush green leaves at the other. In between, vivid blue was interspersed with colourful birds of paradise. Encircling the tree animals of every description were represented in poses ranging from dashing action to peaceful rest. No tables or chairs obscured it, leaving the large central space empty, the tree dominating the room.

As I followed Evan around the mosaic to our table it pulsed, causing me to jump back a fraction. Heart pounding in my chest, I grabbed the back of a chair drawing deep breaths in and out, trying to dissipate the adrenalin that shot through my system.

Evan looked back, brows drawn together, lips pursed. I forced myself to look again. The tree's tiles sparkled and gleamed. My face burnt red. It was just an effect of the light. I was an idiot.

Rational explanation aside, a rippling shiver ran through me, followed by a buzzing sensation that moved with my blood from my organs right through my body until it surged over my skin, making the hairs on my arms stand up like a Mexican wave.