17

The pounding on the door became urgent.

Still, our eyes locked. There was something in that dark stare, something that Thomas was willing me to understand. Frustration that I couldn't grasp it pushed into my brain. I looked away in defeat.

Faster than I could perceive, Thomas was up and at the door.

"Wait, it'll just be Anne. She must have got tired of waiting."

He stepped back and I opened the door ready to get out of here.

"Alice, I need to talk to you. I can't wait any longer," Stephen said, his body tense and voice, urgent. He pushed into the room.

Thomas was on him in a second, twisting his arm behind his back and pushing him up against the wall.

"What the fuck!" Stephen yelped, voice muffled from the awkward contact that his face made with the wall.

"Thomas, stop. It's ok, I think he's got the message. Stephen, just go. I don't want to see you."

"I've got to tell you, it was real. For me. It was real," Stephen blurted out, over Thomas's shoulder.

Thomas was trying to form a human barrier between us. It would have been funny were I not so confused and angry.

"Yeah right," I spat. "I'm still your assignment, Stephen, but now I know it."

I turned my back on them both and sat down on the bed, determined not to engage with Stephen again.

"Leave," Thomas said sharply, "Now."

"And who the fuck are you?" Stephen seethed. "Looks like you've been putting out a lot more since we broke up, Alice," he finished bitterly.

My eyes darted to Stephen, furious that he'd say that in front of someone else.

Then I noticed Thomas.

Rage emanated from him in tangible waves. It sucked the air out of the room, making it difficult to breath. My head spun, but I couldn't tear my eyes away from him. His darkness called to me, drawing me in.

I waited, mesmerized by the dense fury surrounding the men. I could taste it, feel it. I could hear it.

The song was chaos.

Footsteps sounded faintly in the hall. Anne stumbled to a halt as she took in the scene. Striding confidently between the two men, she spoke some rhythmic words, low and fast. Laying a hand on each of them, Anne finished whispering. Both men's bodies relaxed in oddly synchronised movements.

"I told you to leave her alone," Anne said to Stephen.

He looked at her with dazed eyes, nodded his head and left the room without a second glance.

"And who's this?" She asked, her hand remaining on Thomas, who was still suspended in a relaxed state.

"Thomas, my neighbour at the priory, what have you done to him? Why did Stephen to leave so easily?"

Anne sighed, "Look Alice, I wanted to ease you into this, but it looks like you've got yourself into some trouble."

"Hey, this isn't my fault!"

"No, it's not. You shouldn't have been out there alone. There are things that you need to know about our family. Get your stuff and let's get out of here. I'll explain at home. What was this guy doing in your hotel room anyway?"

"He came to see if I was ok," I shrugged.

Now that the spell was broken, I was ashamed that I'd let him coerce me into caring. I didn't usually respond to emotional blackmail. What the hell was wrong with me? What was wrong with him?

I gathered up my belongings and was ready to check out in a few minutes. Anne stood next to Thomas, her hand lightly touching him at all times. He was still and compliant, and Anne was keeping him like that.

Suddenly, my dysfunctional relationship with Thomas seemed the least important thing happening right now.

"What shall we do with him?" Anne asked. "I can't just leave him now, he'll sleep for hours after this, and he can't stay in the hotel."

Anne gestured to her hand that was still connected to Thomas's wrist, as though that explained it all.

I was beginning to understand that it probably did.

A pale golden haze travelled between them, concentrated where Anne touched Thomas. It steadily increased in strength until it looked like a mist enveloping them both.

"Can he walk? I think we should take him with us. He can sleep-off whatever 'that' is on your couch," I said. "If that's ok with you?"

"Yeah, it's fine. I guess this one is friend rather than foe, right?" Anne enquired with a raised eyebrow. "You certainly know how to pick them though." She looked Thomas up and down with an appraising eye.

"Yeah," I sighed wearily. "Don't I just."

We walked slowly through the hotel. I left Thomas in Anne's care as I went to check out at the front desk. The hotel receptionist looked at me curiously while she processed my bill. She was a tall attractive woman, a few years younger than myself. An arched eyebrow told me what she thought about all the men coming and going from my room.

I returned her judgment with a hard look. I didn't have time to feel embarrassed.

Over by the door, waiting for me, they were an odd looking couple. Anne, tiny next to Thomas's tall frame. She leaned against the wall, twisting a lock of her long curly red hair round her finger. Thomas stood tall, his eyes focused unerringly on Anne, waiting for her command.

Recent events had taught me that personal liberty was precious. It felt like a betrayal, to see Thomas subjugated and not to do anything to help. But Anne's power excited me. To hold the fate of one so powerful had got to be exhilarating.

The surge of jealousy surprised me: I wanted it for myself.

Hey, thanks for sticking with me. Things are about to get weird in Alice's world. Don't forget to ⭐️ if you're enjoying the story.