Chapter 1: Meet Cute

It all began when I was trying to be cute.

I had worn my black and red converse to travel to New Orleans for Essence Festival. I was meeting my best friend Zena, and my cousin, Carrie at the Roosevelt Hotel. Zena had traveled from L..A. where she moved two years ago. Carrie and I traveled from New York separately because she had a work trip first. They were waiting for me in the hotel lobby because the reservation was in my name. We screamed when we saw each other, scaring some of the guests. We were so lit about this weekend because this was our first time in New Orleans and our first girls trip. I also hadn't seen my best friend since she moved away. And though we both lived in New York, I was Harlem and Carrie was in Brooklyn, which meant we rarely saw each other.

"You look diva." I complimented Zena. She wore weave down her back, sparkly leggings and tank, heels, and a huge smile. She had body for days that she usually displayed.

"Where are you going with those tennis shoes? We are in sexy New Orleans for Essence weekend and you need to step up you're 'A' game. How are you ever going to meet a man?" Carrie my cousin chimed in who always looked fierce. She was in the corporate world, made big money, and wore expensive clothes. She wore her hair in a perfectly styled pixie cut, a flirty sundress, heels, and shades.

I sighed my cousin was forever trying to find me a man. She was happily married for what seemed like forever and was determined to find me a husband. "Once I get settled in my room, I'll change."

"No, now. Look around you. This is the Hilton where plenty of celebrities stay. We are in the hub of everything fab."

I did and there were beautiful people everywhere and they all were fab. I looked at Zena who was always the mediator and single like myself. She gave me a half-smile. "It can't hurt. We are on vacay and you don't know who you will meet."

"Seriously? Right now?" They both nodded. I sighed. "Fine. Just stand in line while I do it so we don't lose our place. A group of women all styled with strappy heels or flat sparkly sandals got in line behind us. I was at least already wearing jeggings and a sparkly fitted red t-shirt. They were right I would look sexier in my strappy red sandals.

The lobby was crowded and all the seats were taken. I hurried to a corner and went through my rolling suitcase to find my shoes. Once I had them I quickly took off my shoes and footies while leaning on the wall nearest me. I thought I was doing a good balancing act until I couldn't buckle the sandal and fell forward. I saw my life flash before my eyes as I was going down fast. I suddenly felt strong hands on my arms as I fell face first into a hard chest.

"Hey. I got you." His deep rich timbre quietly said.

I looked into his handsome face. "Damn."

He frowned. "Excuse me?"

I then realized I was still in his arms and I straightened up. I tripped again because I still hadn't put on my other shoe.

"Whoa." He caught me again and smiled and two deep dimples appeared in his cheeks. His lips were within an inch of mine. He must have noticed that I couldn't tear my eyes away from his mouth because he bit his lip and cleared his throat. "We have to stop meeting like this."

"Yeah. I mean didn't I just see you?" I played along with him, anything to keep him in my space longer.

He laughed. "Just hold on to me and finish putting on your shoes."

I used his muscular shoulder to finish putting my heels on. Once I finished I stepped back. "Thank you."

"No problem. Sexy shoes by the way. Are you staying at the hotel?" I can't believe Carrie was right! Did shoes really have that impact?