Chapter 8: Somewhere New

"You mean to tell me that you're pregnant with probably boy number four, you're in a gang, I could die, and I'm supposed to just be okay with that?" I screech.

I'm so pissed off right now.

"You have no other choice, Reece," Mom says.

"Which is why we're sending you and the boys away from here," Dad says.

"Oh, hell no."

"Angelo and Leo are staying at Michael's house. Lorenzo is staying at Bradley's house and you are staying at the McCormick's" she tells me and I almost lose my mother fucking mind.

"No way. That is not happening over my dead body." I say.

"Would you rather come home not knowing whether or not you're going to die?" Dad yells at me. "I can't bear to lose you, C. You mean way too much to me for that to happen. Your mother is the most important person in my life but I'm not the most important of hers. You are. So please save the two of us the pain of seeing you or your brothers hurt and do what we say."

"I will." They give me a sad smile. "But the boys have to come with me."

"Caprice-"

"They mean more to me than most people do so if they don't come with me, I'm not leaving," I say and say it how it is.

Mom and Dad look at each other and they both look back at me. "I'll call Mrs. McCormick."

I smile at them. "Thank you."

"Go pack your things and help your brothers."

I nod and walk to the stairs only to see all three of them were listening in. Leo looks at me a little confused and sad and it makes my heart hurt. Enzo looks mad and Angelo...well he's just himself.

"Are they splitting us up?" Enzo asks.

"I don't want to leave here," Angelo says.

"Well, we are. You heard mom. She's splitting us up." Enzo says leaning back on a stair.

"I don't want to leave Reece," Leo says gripping onto my leg.

I ruffle his hair. "Guys, I talked to mom and I told her none of us are leaving this house unless we're leaving together. It'll be okay. I promise."

"Are you sure?" Leo asks.

"I'm positive Bubba."

"I don't want to leave here. This is where I live. It's my home." Enzo says frustrated.

"Me either, but we might as well pack our things and wait."

***

"You'll only be living here until your father settles things. You have to call me every single day so I don't freak out. You can't come and visit me but I'll try and visit you guys along with your father. Make sure you do your homework, don't stay up late, help out at the McCormick's because they were nice enough to take all of you in. Be thankful. Lorenzo, brush your teeth before bed. Leo, don't leave your shoes on the stairs and Angelo, make sure your room there looks decent." Mom says giving us her speech. She kisses each of us. "Reece, be good, okay?"

"Yeah, mom." I nod and she kisses my forehead and gives me a hug. "I don't want to do this mom."

"Me either, baby. Me either."

"We'll come as much as possible," Dad tells me. 

Only I know that's not true. They know what's best for my family and their kids' safety and it's them staying as far away from us as possible. I overheard them talking on the phone with my Uncle Johnathan. I know my mom is going down to Georgia to stay there with my Great Aunt and Grandma until this blows over with my dad. He's staying in New York. My Aunt Camilla is going to check up on us. Not my parents. As much as they want to, they know it isn't right.