Chapter 14: They Took Her

I'm woken up to Leo jumping on my bed rocking out to the Ruby and Max theme song. Living with my aunt has been...different. I mean the boys are happy to be back in our old beds and house, but mom and dad aren't here. They're the ones who made this house feels like a home. It still seems so empty. Leo still sleeps with me from nightmares or something like that. Liam comes over to help with watching them because my aunt and uncle leave to go to work on the weekends. I just wish my dad could fix this mess., so mom can come home and have this baby.

I sit up, propping myself on one elbow. I squint my eyes trying to avoid the streaming light coming through the window. I look up at Leo who's pleasantly watching T.V. this Sunday morning. He plops down next to me, grinning like an idiot. He kisses my forehead and I smile

"Morning Reecie."

I laugh. "Morning, Bubba."

"So today, I think I want to go to the park and ride my bike. It seems like a good idea. Auntie Cami said it's supposed to be sunny and warm and all of the snow is gone and Angelo and Enzo are at baseball practice and my poor bike has been locked up in that garage all winter and I just want to-"

"Whoa, slow you roll kiddo. We can ride your bike, okay?" I tell him, sitting up straight.

He jumps into my arms and kisses my cheek over and over again. He does this everytime he gets something that he wants. "Thank you, thank you, thank you. I'm going to go get dressed."

"Okay, be ready in fifteen minutes!" I call to him out the door even though he can be ready in five.

I get out of bed and my feet hit the floor. I search for my phone and I find it lost in my bed. I quickly text Liam asking if he wants to meet us at Central Park in thirty minutes. I walk over to my dresser and pull out jeans and a sweatshirt and pull uggs over top. I let my hair fall in waves down my back and don't even bother putting on makeup since I have no guy to impress other than my boyfriend who doesn't need impressing.

Liam @11:12 AM: yeah of course. I'll be there at around 11:45. tell Leo to save me a spot on his super cool Cars bike for me :))

Reece @11:13 AM: okay I'll tell him but I doubt he'll let you steal it. he got it for Christmas and had to stare at it for three months

Liam   @11:15 AM: I'm very good at persuasion. see you soon beautiful smile at my phone. Man, he makes me crazy. I pocket my phone and trot downstairs making sure to grab my car keys on the way down. My Aunt is sitting in the living room as Enzo, Angelo, and my Uncle having some type of wrestling match. I take a look at my Aunt and she just smiles and shakes her head. 

"We really need to get on this having a baby game before I get too old." SHe says admiring her husband roughhousing with the kids.

"Why haven't you had any kids?" I ask her.

"Well, it took me forever to settle down. I didn't know where I wanted to live if I wanted to get married or even have kids. It took a while. By the time I was your mom's age, we had only been married for three or four years. But he's so happy around kids that I think it's time." she says nodding.

"Don't you, like hate kids?" I ask laughing.

"Not hate them. But if it makes him happy, then it makes me happy. I just saw how happy your mom was with just you and I wanted to be that happy. You are literally her world. Yes, she loves the boys and she would do absolutely anything for them, but you straightened her out. You made her into the amazing mom she is today and even if she seems like she's upset with you or mad when you do something wrong, it's because she feels like you didn't have enough childhood with your dad leaving and having to be moved around. She wanted more from you. She regrets every day not seeing your first steps or hearing your first words or first smile. She really wishes she saw it all. But she tries to make the best with what she got. I just find it mind bobbling how much she cares for you. She loves Damien more than life itself, but you somehow mean even more." She smiles at me. "You mean a lot to all of us, Reece. I don't know what anyone would do without you."