•What Christmas is all about...• Part 1

((Ok, ok I know what you're thinking, "Why are you doing a Christmas special in the middle of January?"
Well the better question is, why not. Aaaand I've had this idea floating around in my head for a while but Christmas was came and went before I knew it blah blah blah. Plus its been a while since I've even looked at this book, whoops. Anyway, here it is!
Word count: 2277 words

~^^~

"Dad, what's Christmas?"

Asgore's jaw slowly stilled as he stopped mid-chew through his eggs and stared at his son, eyes widening a little.

"What?"

"What's Christmas?", the smaller goat repeated, "I was reading through some of Mom's history books and came across an article about it but it used so many big words I didn't even know what it was saying and well, I was hoping you guys could explain it to me.", he finished, looking between the two older goats that sat on either side of him at the table.

"Christmas...", Toriel repeated to herself, "its been so long since...",she trailed off.

Asgore nodded. Ever since the war and being trapped in the underground, Christmas wasn't really their number one priority anymore. Why, it had been so long since they even celebrated the holiday. Long before Asriel was born.

Asgore remembered when the humans first taught the monsters of the wonderful holiday all those decades ago. It was about around the time the monsters had first began to settle near the human land.

He remembered all the fragrances, the foods, the decor, presents, but his favorite part was the Christmas tree. To be able to take an ordinary pine tree and make so wonderfully beautiful and meaningful was one of the best parts to Asgore. Well, besides the foods anyway.

The thought that his son never got to enjoy these wonders stirred Asgore's thoughts. To be honest if Asriel hadn't said anything he would have forgotten about the holiday all together.

"Well son", Toriel's voice broke Asgore out of his thoughts, "Christmas was a holiday that was once celebrated by both humans and monsters. It was a wonderful time filled with decorations, food, presents, and so much more."

Asriel's eyes widened. "Presents? You get presents??", he said, a small smile crawling its way onto his lips.

"Mhm.", Toriel confirmed, amused by his enthusiasm, "though, its been quite some time since monsters celebrated it, especially since we were trapped down here.", she said, a frown beginning to tug at the corners of her mouth when she saw her son's glee written face be replaced with a disappointed frown.

"Oh.", was all he managed as he began to gnaw at his now cold bacon, Toriel doing the same with her eggs.

"Asriel", Asgore said, breaking the tense silence, "how would you like to celebrate Christmas?"