Chapter 6

Kosrae stretched out on the back of a humpback whale, pondering why he had given the human a gift. Humans and merfolk were nearly enemies. He supposed it was because she had reminded him of a mermaid. She did have a lovely singing voice, he told himself. Distractedly, he wondered what the girl's name was. A new thought made him sit up suddenly on the humpback's back. He could give her something more. That would be a good chance to see a human up close. He would wait by the beach for her to come, then place the gift on the beach were she would see it. "What am I doing? She is a human, and I'm a merman. I belong in the sea and she belongs on land. Why do I want to give her gifts anyway?" But deep down in his heart of hearts, he knew he loved her already, though he would not permit this thought to surface.

He did end up giving her the gift: a large conch shell. It was very pretty; pink and pearly white. The best part was that it fully functioned as a horn. He blew it himself to test it. It rang out on the ocean on a deep, rich note. By the time had had finished his search for the perfect gift, the sun was telling him it was well past noon. He swam as quickly as he could to the beach and left the shell on a rock. He was just turning to go when he heard someone gasp. Silently chastising himself, he slowly turned around.