Chapter 8

The days then stretched into weeks, and weeks into months. They saw each other many times and their friendship grew into something much more than that. Etrela found herself at the beach far more than usual, hoping to catch a glimpse of him. Kosrae slipped away from his duties at the palace to go to the beach whenever he had a few free hours. They chatted about things new and old, and Kosrae shared some history of the merpeople. Etrela listened with fascination as he told her of the Trident, the powerful ancient artifact that the king of the merpeople carried. The king presents it to his son at their coronation. Kosrae told her that he would one day wield the Trident himself. "The Trident is so powerful that it can summon storms and stir the seas almost effortlessly. It could even transform one thing into another, living or not."

"Yes, I think I may have heard of it before. I'm not sure." She hesitated. "Could your father turn me into a mermaid with it?" She asked timidly.

Kosrae looked up in surprise. He had never heard of such a request. He didn't know if it was even possible. His eyes softened in sympathy when he saw her expression of faint hopefulness.

"Never mind, it was just a thought." She dismissed the idea.

But Kosrae would not be put off so easily. "No, your request is strange, but you have good reason for asking, right?"

"I do have good reason. I just live by myself in the woods. I get a little lonely sometimes. If I were to become a mermaid..."

Kosrae understood then. She wanted to be with him. He felt his heart flutter, but maintained his calm demeanor. "I see." He reached out a hand to her, and she took it. He looked into her eyes and said, "I will do everything in my power to convince my father to grant your wish."

"Oh, Kosrae," she said, her eyes brimming with tears. "I can't tell you how much this means to me. Thank you."

Kosrae responded by pulling her gently into the two feet of water. "I love you, Etrela." He said, putting his hand on her cheek. He gathered her up in his arms and kissed her. "I will go immediately. Thank you for being willing to make the sacrifice." He left then, slapping his tail fin on the water, making a sound like a thunderclap. Etrela stood looking dreamily at the ripples he had made until she got up, shook out her wet skirt, took her conch shell, and went home. As she walked in the door she realized she would miss the comfort of the cabin. "But I will never be alone," she reminded herself. She was ecstatic at the thought of it. "We can be together soon!" She giggled. "And he will succeed in convincing his father, I just know it!" She caught herself. "Well, he probably will."

She realized suddenly that she had placed a huge burden on Kosrae's shoulders. If he didn't succeed in convincing his father, what would happen? She knew that humans and merfolk were nearly enemies. He could be punished for even talking to me, she thought. I shouldn't have asked to become one of them. In order to ask his father, he must tell him how we met in the first place. She felt her happiness draining from her. His father might forbid him from ever coming back. I might never see him again! She started crying silently, letting a tear or two slip down her cheek. Why did I ask him? He could get into who knows how much trouble.
She pulled herself together quickly and wiped her tears. But nothing has even happened yet. No use worrying about it. Worrying never makes anything better.