Chapter 12

Etrela, meanwhile, was preparing for her wedding to Kosrae. "This is going to be the best day of my life. I just know it! Thank you for making this possible, Kosrae." Kosrae pulled her close and kissed her. "No; thank you. I have never been happier in my life."

They would get married the next day. Nearly everyone in the kingdom was invited to come. "Just think," Etrela said wistfully, "tomorrow I will be a wife, and a mermaid princess! Just like every little girl's dream!" She laughed softly. "Well, we should probably go to bed. It is getting late. Goodnight, Kosrae."
"Goodnight, Etrela."

The next morning Etrela woke up early. Her first thought was "it's my wedding day!" She got out of bed and swam to her closet. She had picked out a gorgeous dress. Mermaid dresses are shorter than human dresses, so the hem won't get tangled around the mermaid's tail as she swims. Etrela's dress came down to about two and a half feet below her waist. It had pearls and lace all around the hem and neckline, and three-fourths length sleeves. She hung it in her dressing room, admiring the strange feel of the silky white fabric. She made a mental note to ask what the fabric was made of later.
Her handmaid knocked on the door. "Are you up, Miss Etrela?"
"Yes, Sirena, you can come in."
The young girl swam timidly inside. "I thought you might like to sunbathe for a while to help you relax. Most all brides are nervous on their wedding day."
"Why, that's very kind of you. I think I might do that later, but would you please help me with my hair? I have no idea how to style hair underwater."

Sirena picked up a comb and styled Etrela's hair, while the new bride hummed merrily. "One day, Sirena, it will be your turn," she told her young friend. "And I will be the one doing your hair and helping you get ready. Would you like that, Sirena?" "Yes, very much, Miss Etrela." She told her in a soft voice.