Chapter One

Two months ago...

Her fingers carried on tapping the surface of the table while her head spun from side to side just to see if he had arrived. Still having no sign of him, she slouched in her seat. A glass of orange juice stood in front of her, the waitress who gave her the beverage stopped at her and smiled before leaving to entertain the other customers. She gave a small smile in return and quickly turned away to hide the gathering tears in her eyes. As she turned, she saw him walking towards their table and she instantaneously stood up. She wanted to run so she could hug him but the big bulge in her stomach stopped her from moving. Feeling the twinge in her lower back, she sat down again with two strong arms helping her to.

"Darlin' you shouldn't be forcing yerself to move."

She let out a sigh of relief. She was glad he made it. Finally. After ten minutes of waiting.

"Sorry I'm late luv", he said as he pecked her on the lips. "Have I kept you waiting so long?"

She shook her head while he sat down facing her. She decided not to ask why he was late. She remained quiet and still.

"I see you've ordered already," he smirked, seeing the untouched glass of juice.

"Oh no," she giggled. She almost forgot that she had this. "The waitress just gave it. Would you like it though?"

"Nah, it's yours. I'll have beer instead."

The waitress came to take their orders. He wanted something crispy and savory that would go with the taste and texture of his bevy. She, not being in a real mood of eating chose the plainest dish she could find on the menu and the waitress went to get their orders. She didn't really come to eat. Problems found their way to succeed and that caused her appetite to sink down day by day. All she wanted was to see him, to talk with him. They needed to talk about them. About their plans. About their future.

Soon the waitress came back with their food and left them to eat. She barely touched her food and he noticed it.

"What's the matter with you? You sick?"

"No. I haven't had enough sleep. That's all."

"Oh. Better eat up fast so you can have yer rest after."

She didn't say anything in reply. She waited for him to finish his meal before deciding to speak up.

"I need to ask you something," she bit her lip, feeling her mouth was dry.

He took the last swig of his beer. "Yeah? What is it?"

"You know I don't want to keep pushing you on about the... But you know I can't... I can't..." She began talking in circles which he didn't like. Half listening to her, he asked for the bill and paid it and turned to his girlfriend again who was still struggling to emit the words out.

"Come on luv. Spit it out," he said impatiently,

Her lips formed a little smile but soon shivered when she spoke, "I can't stay at Caroline's anymore."

"Why? Did she kick ye out too?"

"No. But I've been much of a burden to her, you see. I can't do most of the housework anymore and Mr. Roberts won't let me continue my work in his shop too. You must understand this. The baby will be due next month or the other. I need you to be with me more."

He rubbed his face with his palm. They'd been on the same topic again and again and he was getting sick of it. Only he wasn't showing it. Well not yet.