Chapter Six

“Hopkinson, here’s yours for the week,” their supervisor Allan, gave her the folded brown paper with her pay tucked inside. “Be here early next week alright?” He said and left before Lucy could thank him. She put her money inside her satchel and closed her locker door.

Three of her co-workers who were also leaving turned to her.

“Hey darl, we’re going out dancing tonight. D’you like to join us?”

As her typical response, she said, “I’m sorry. I really need to go now. Maybe next time?” The girls just nodded and gave her a sympathetic smile. She had to admit she missed the feeling of having fun like most people her age do but she knew it’s not possible anymore. Julie needs her more. She wore her coat and picked her satchel.

“Lucy, may I talk to you for a moment?” It was Peter. He also worked there and he’d been obvious in showing his intentions.

“What is it, Peter?” She was quite reluctant to entertain. She was hoping that he wasn’t going to ask her out like he tried many times before.

“Well… you remember when you mentioned you were looking for some sort of part time? I think I found you one.”

“Really? Where?” Her eyes lit up, glad with what she heard.

“In my uncle’s pub in Rice Street. I told him I got a friend who needed to earn a few pounds more. I can take you there now if you want. You’ll just have to stay there for a few hours so you wouldn’t have to come home late. I’m sure we could figure something out, aye?”

“We could. Thank you so much for this!”

__

“Oh will ye look at that?” his mate shoved his arm to his face, showing him the time in his watch. “Looks like she’s ditched ye already!”

He said nothing and continued to tap the empty mug of beer with his fingers.

“Ah, come off John. I was only joking,” Paul knew what he said could be true. John just looked at him.

“Ye know, I should’ve brought George ‘ere instead. I don’t need a wanker like ye telling me to beat it,” he chortle and playfully pushed Paul in his chair. “Go find yerself a bird or something. Just don’t bother me alright?”

John was left in peace. He kept looking near the entrance. A girl carrying a bag and books came walking towards him. He smirked, remembering where he had seen her.

“’Ello Phyll McKenzie. I’m surprised you’re here to see me.”

“Ha! Still full of yourself are we?” he laughed at her posh accent which sounded just like her friend’s. “I came here to tell you that she’s not coming to see you.”