Chapter Five

Sunday afternoon was planned to be spent at the park. Lucy thought it would be good to go out for some time so she and Julie could bond together. When she was done with all the housework, she began to dress Julie up but as she was putting on her baby jacket, Julie started to squirm and cry.

“Sweetheart, it’ll be cold outside that’s why you’ll have to wear this!” She tried to button up the garment but Julie cried harder. Lucy sighed. They weren’t going to make it to the park now. “Okay love, we’re not going anymore,” she said, removing the jacket and she put Julie back on the bed. “You and mummy will just stay here and listen to the radio. Would you like that?”

Julie’s tiny mouth opened wide, forming a very happy face. The little tyke made a sound which Lucy hadn’t heard before.

Lucy’s eyes widened, she felt like crying when she heard her baby gurgle for the first time. “My baby!” She carried Julie again.

There was a knock on their door. Still carrying Julie, Lucy went to check it out. Outside stood a woman in a black coat and a black hat. Lucy didn’t know if she had met her before.

“Can I help you?”

The woman looked at them both for a while and smiled. “Hello Lucy. I don’t believe John had you introduced to me before,” the woman stuck her hand out. “I’m Mary Smith, his aunt.”

Lucy just froze.

Regarding the younger woman’s reaction, she pulled her hand back and asked, “May I come in?”

“Huh?” Lucy blinked. The she realized how dumb she must have acted. “Yes,” she said and she stepped aside to let the woman in. “Y-You have a seat.. M-Mrs. Smith… Tea will be up in a few minutes..”

She was about to put Julie down when she heard her say behind her, “May I hold her please?”

Lucy nodded and gave Julie to her.

“What a beautiful baby you are!” She cooed. “What’s her name?”

“Her name is Julie, Mrs. Smith.”

“You’re so polite Lucy.”

Lucy chuckled nervously while watching her daughter smile and giggle in the arms of a new face.

“Or perhaps quite scared? Love, I don’t bite. Just call me Mimi if you please, that’s what everybody calls me. Now you go make the tea and leave Julie here to me. It’s been ages since I last carried a baby!”

While and after preparing the tea Lucy couldn’t take her eyes off Mimi who enjoyed playing with her daughter. It was hard to digest the fact that the aunt of that John was there to see her. Lucy served the tea to Mimi and sat down. After a short light talk, a question coming from Mimi led to Lucy becoming silent as night.

“I’d like to know if John has come here. He’s been going out most of the time.”