Chapter Three

Grey, gloomy clouds floated above the huge, ancient college building where he stood against a pillar with hands in his pocket. His typical rambling had just finished and here in the place where he was once enrolled, he decided to hang on. He breathed deeply, smirking to himself as the reminiscences of his brief years in college took over. Though he was somehow known as the least-liked student, he still could say he enjoyed his time provoking his ill-tempered professors, being the class clown, and bringing a guitar in class instead of art tools. He wasn’t able to carry on with his studies and he got kicked out before he got to his final year. He couldn’t be more contented, after staying for more than a couple of years, he was out and free and that was what he waited for. Mimi was livid, saying he’d go nowhere without a diploma but what could she do? She knew her nephew’s heart wasn’t set on everything she decided for him. He has forged his own path and look where it’s taking him.

There was the indistinct cry of the bell from the inside and soon the students swarmed out the doors like a plague of locusts, their beams in their tired faces were proof that the long, agonizing hours of classes were over. He stayed where he was, blending in with the newly out crowd. Slowly, he turned his head when he felt a soft hand on his shoulder. He smiled, seeing that the hand belonged to this certain girl he used to fancy around there.

“My, it is really you, John..”

“Aye, it’s me.”

He turned so he was facing her. He saw her black-coal eyes which were hidden under her blonde fringe sparkle with surprise. He smirked. He still had his impact on her. And what a great surprise it was indeed to see the notorious John Lennon in the premises of the blooming art college.

“Missed me, have ye Cynthia Powell?”

“Not really,” Cynthia giggled and shook her head. “It’s just that I was quite used of having you borrow my materials when you were still in our Calligraphy class.”

“So ye did miss me! It’s okay, Powell. I missed ye too!”

He saw her blush.

“Erm.. when did you get back? How was Hamburg? I mean the trip… Stuart was with your band right? How is he? Is he here now? Have all you guys got….”

“Yer asking too many questions love!” John chuckled.

“Sorry.”

“It’s all right! Well let’s see… I came back like last Sunday maybe? Hamburg wasn’t bad, women loved us”, he said, tongue in cheek. “Stu? He left the bass-playing to McCartney. Stu concentrated more to his painting thing y’know? He met a German bird there named Astrid and he’s living with her now.”

“Well I’m happy for him.” Cynthia smiled. “How about the others? Are they still in Hamburg?”

“I left the lads back there. Gave them lot a hard time before I left. They didn’t want me to leave.”

“Why did you want to go home?”

“I…” John rubbed the back of his head. He stood still while his chest started to pound. “I… Because I wanted to! Maybe I’m homesick?”