Chapter 8

Ash POV

"Okay so someone has been watching you and has access to the castle, the only way they could have access is if one of the guards lowered the magic wards," Callie says as we sit in my office discussing the letter I got earlier today.

"So you're suggesting we have a mole?" Britt says and Callie nods in confirmation.

I sigh and run my hands through my blonde hair. Cam notices my stress and wraps his arms around my waist in order to comfort me. The four of us have been sitting in my office trying to figure out what is going on with these notes. As of now we know nothing other than the fact that they can enter the castle and we might have a mole.

"So how do we find this mole?" I ask.

No one says anything which only makes my nerves worse. This is honestly the most nerve racking experience. Knowing that someone who wants to harm my babies and the people I care about and has the power to do so scares the crap out of me. But, as a queen I must keep my composure.

"I say we get someone that we all absolutely trust and have them infiltrate the guards to find the mole," Britt suggests and the idea appeals to me as I think it over.

It seems like a good idea, we can have someone on the inside and it could help in keeping the wards up so that no one can get to my family.

"Okay, so who are we going to choose?" I ask

"I'll do it," Callie says and I smile at her in appreciation.

"Thank you but I couldn't ask you to do that it wouldn't be fair you've done so much already," I say and Callie rolls her eyes before she says,

"Oh cut the crap Ash, humble doesn't suit you. The guards are already familiar and comfortable with me anyway and I can fight on the same level as them, I can just say I feel the need to join the guards because I wanted to protect my little nieces or something like that."

I smile at her and look to Cam for confirmation.

"I think it's a great idea," he says and I nod in approval.

"It's settled then Callie will be our mole to drag out the real mole," I say and everyone nods in approval and we then begin to talk plans of action.

***

I jump slightly as the phone in my office rings. I'd just dozed off and the blaring sound now had me wide awake. I've been up for hours trying to figure out who is trying to take me down and why. I've also been trying to work on the Shadow walkers case. I'd asked a close informant of mine to dig around and see if they could get any information from the dark realm or the realm where dark supernatural beings hide out. He'd not gotten back to me yet but I hoped he would soon. Just as the phone was on its last ring, I answered it.

"Queen Ashlyn speaking,"  say into the phone after I've picked it up.

"Hello Your highness it is the head council member we are having an emergency meeting in twenty minutes, I will see you there," The head councilman said before hanging up the phone.

I sighed and got up to go tell Cam that I had to leave soon. Just as I left my office, he appeared in front of me.

"Hey, I have to leave soon," I say as we stand in front of my office together. 

Cam frowns at me as he wraps his arms around my waist and says, 

"Why?" 

"Because there is a council meeting, I can only assume it's about the case of Shadow walkers," I reply as I begin to change into something more professional for the meeting. 

"Would you like to come with me?" I ask as I see Cam lay on the bed and watch me change,

"Yeah sure, I just took the girls to the castle nursery to give Britt and Callie a break," he says before he gets up and begins to change as well.  

Ten minutes later, we were both changed and ready to go. Just as we moved to open a portal, an explosion sounded from downstairs. Cam and I looked at each other before we both ran downstairs. 

"What is going on?" I ask as I make my way into the living room. 

"There's an attack on the kingdom orphanage and the nursery!" one of the guards yelled as people ran by in a panic. 

I turned to Cam with panicked eyes as I asked, 

"Didn't you take the girls to the nursery earlier today?"

His eyes widened and we both ran in the direction of the nursery. 

"Ash! Cam!" Cam and I turned to see Britt calling us with my baby girls in her arms. 

I let out a relieved sigh and sped towards them. As soon as I reached her I took the girls in my arms. 

"Oh my babies your okay," I whisper as I coddle them in my arms. 

I pass the girls off to Cam before I turned to Britt and asked, 

"How many were killed?"

"I think you should go see for yourself," Britt says grimly. 

With a deep sigh, I followed Britt to the castle nursery and orphanage. I let out a noise of despair as I saw the same thing from the first orphanage attack. 

"It must be the Shadow Walkers or the imitators, I must inform the council of this new information," I say as I examine the damage, "tell Cam to stay here and bring everyone to order, there will be a meeting when I come back." 

Britt nodded and I took that as my cue to go to council meeting. 

"There has been another attack," I say as I enter the council meeting late. 

"Where? How do you know?" The head council man asked as he stared me down. 

"Because it happened in my orphanage and nursery and my children were almost killed by the attack," I said as I took a seat in my chair. 

Head councilman Archer took in my information silently and I could see him thinking of what we should do. 

"We need to take action, every kingdom is to keep their borders closed and allow no new visitors, tighten your security and don't let the children all be in one spot the orphans will have to be temporarily placed with a family until we can figure out who is behind this," Archer says as he sits back in his chair thoughtfully. 

Everyone in the room nodded and began to chat  with each other as they plan to lock down their borders. 

"Are your children okay?" Archer asks me and I nod as I say,

"Yes, thankfully a friend of mine had taken them from the nursery before the attack."

Archer nodded some more and we continued the meeting by giving any information on the Shadow Walkers -which wasn't much- and the we went home. 

~DHQ~

So.....hows it been.......I'm so sorry and I know most of you are probably done with this story but I have a lot going on right now but I will still try to update when I have time. I promise I will finish this book just don't know how long its going to take so my best wishes

~QOTD~

What do you think of the Shadow Walkers?