Twelve: To fight when you feel like flying

Markis is easy to track down so Stiles does just that. Nobody mentions his breakdown and he's grateful for the gift he's been given. If there is one thing he hates more than his life right now, it's being the centre of attention.

"Stiles!" He braces himself for the onslaught that is Isaac as the curly haired boy barrels towards him.

"Hey Isaac," he says wearily. "What's up?"

The teen wolf looks around conspicuously. "I'm here to warm you to be careful of Markis. He seems to be asking about you."

Stiles smiles grimly. "I'll be fine Isaac. Trust me."

"I do, Stiles but I'm worried."

The bell sounds before Stiles can respond and he gives Isaac a pat on the shoulder before dashing off to English. It just so happens Markis is in that class and the strange boy picks the spot next to Stiles. The eccentric teenager swallows before putting in his grave face. He can do this. He has to.

"So you're the little runt of a human, hm? Gotta say, I expected more." Markis sounds nothing like Stiles had expected and it throws him for a bit of a loop. Instead of a harsh winter, Markis sounds like a warm summer breeze and Stiles stumbles for a response.

"Sorry to be a letdown," is all he manages.

Markis snorts. "The Nogitsune must have had bad taste if he chose you."

Stiles freezes because damn it, that still terrifies him. Fragmented memories of chaos, strife and pain make him wince, something he's sure Markis doesn't miss. Derek may have his Beta, Alpha and Omega but Stiles had three words worse than death.

"Me Stilinski, we don't need you corrupting the new student already," Mr Golbrock reprimands. "Save it for later."

Stiles bows his head. "Sorry teach."

He can see Markis grinning out the corner of his eye and he grits his teeth. Keeping his temper around the werewolf would be difficult but Stiles needs to do it, if only so he doesn't dwell on the female figure that lingers behind him. He pretends not to see her smile and the the blood pouring from her stomach.

Soon enough, English is over and Stiles has a free period. Unfortunately, it seems like Markis's timetable mirrors his and the young werewolf follows him to the library. Not really the best place for a confrontation but Stiles can't say any differently. There is really no where else for them to go.

"I've got a warning for you to take back to your little pack," Markis sneers. "Our coven is preparing. You're little group of wanna-be superheroes has made Beacon Hills a beacon."

Stiles snorts. "Ironic much?"

Markis grins maliciously. "You think you're a funny guy. Well guess what, you're not really who you say you are. The Nogitsune may be gone, Stiles, but there's still darkness in you. You've changed. Become stronger, unstable yet focused in all the wrong ways."

"Shut up." Stiles hates the way his voice trembles.

"Chaos, Strife, Pain."

"Stop."

"That's what you know now, isn't it?

"Please." He hates begging.

"You're your own little monster."

"Stop it." He hates being here.

"You can't hide this forever, Stiles. We'll come for you're pack. Maybe they'll allow you a quick death." Markis leans down, his mouth close to Stiles ear. "Or maybe we'll bring it back."

Stiles pales, he doesn't need clarification and then Markis is gone and Stiles is trembling. His fingers jar painfully as he slams them into the bookcase next to him but he doesn't pay attention, his mind is too busy flashing black and white because he can't go back to that. He can't go back.

His breathing falters, his vision blurs. His chest aches and he really thinks he's having a panic attack and then he's stumbling out of the school and he's driving until he doesn't know where he is and then he calls Derek.

"Stiles?"

He can't answer, his breathing is erratic and he needs Derek to come find him and give him coffee.

"What's happening?"

"Help me," Stiles chokes out before he drops his phone and he sits in his car. He probably should give Derek detail but he's much more focused on making sure he doesn't pass out. He wants his dad, wants a hug from the only parent he has left.

The parent he tried to kill.

He wants to burn that thought. He can't. He considers calling his father but he's already a let down. He doesn't need to add to that by being a mess outwardly too. He wants his dad to call but that's being selfish. Besides, his dad wouldn't call. People don't call for Stiles unless they're angry at him.

He still thinks Derek might find him then realises Derek might think he's being attacked and he's not, he's just being silly now but he still can't get the tremors out of his body. Markis's words are still bouncing around in his head and he wants to cry but he's so tired he can't be bothered.

The last thing he notices before he passes out is something running straight for him.

Stiles hopes he doesn't die.