Aftermath

Thursday 23rd April 2022 - 0945

St Judes, Middle School and Orphanage - London

Outdoor Recreation Area

The world explodes back into focus.

I sit bolt upright and suck in a huge breath. Ami flinches back, there is a pungent smell, my hearts racing and my head is spinning, I think I might be sick.

I notice Mrs Dervs, she has something in her hand. 'Are you ok Kai?' she asks.

I take a beat, and look around. I can see an ambulance through the fence with lights flashing.

There are paramedics in the rec area, they are bent over Gavin, everyone, all the other kids are gone.

Mr Castle hovers. A crowd has gathered at the rec area fence. Ami is holding my hand.

I turn back to Mrs Dervs, 'I, I think I'm ok'

'Where are we she asks', I respond 'The school rec area?'

I continue 'What just happened? I wanted to ask Fizz a question, we fought, we all fought... I, I fought back.'

'It seems you certainly did Mr Sharp.' She stares at me, slightly shakes her head with a hint of a smile on her face. 'Recite to me the months of the year backward as fast as you can'

'December, November, October, August.....' I rattle them off

'Ok let get you up' Mrs Dervs and Ami grab me under the arms and help me up. I stand, it's not too bad, the spinning has stopped. I feel fine now, but bizarrely despite my huge breakfast hungry.

Mrs Dervs examines my head where the laptop hit me. 'A glancing blow most likely, there doesn't seem to be any major damage. You have a hard head Mr Sharp.'

Mr Castle approaches 'Ami get off to your class now.' Ami hesitates, she has the look of a mother protecting her child.

She squeezes my hand and say's 'See you soon Rambo' I offer her a cheeky grin and she heads off into the school building.

She glances back before she steps in. I give a half-hearted farewell wave.

The stress kicks in, what was going to happen now. I mean what the heck had happened at all?

I'd just taken on a gang of bullies and from what I remember soundly thrashed them.

Never mind what happened, how did I do it? I thought they were going to kill me.

'Right Kai, there are going to be some consequences relating to this', said Mr Castle.

Yeah, I bet there was, some of those guys are leaving in ambulances, I was going to get expelled. It's so unfair. They have been picking on me for years, I fight back for once and now I'll be the one punished. What would I do, where would I go?

Just then his phone begins to ring, he glances at it. 'I must take this, wait over there' he says indicating some open ground between the fence and the paramedics still dealing with Gavin.

He gets on his phone and I walk away as directed. Arriving I turn to take in the scene again, the paramedics were applying some kind of pump brace to Gavins leg.

He screams in pain. It's pretty horrible to watch.

How had I done that to him? I cringed at his pain, but struggled to feel to bad about it.

I started to replay everything that happened. Just then I hear someone calling my name in a desperate whisper by the main gate to the playground.

I turn around, an older lady is desperately beckoning me over. She's warmly dressed in what looks like an expensive brown great coat and a blue scarf. She looks very posh.

I look around, Mr Castle is still busy with his phone. It's not like I can get in any more trouble so I head over.

As I approach she grabs me and before I know what's happening she pulls me close and whispers in my ear. 'They are coming, you have to get away, you need to run'

I pull back an incredulous look on my face, 'What????' I stammer.

'Get away and call me.' she insists pressing a piece of paper into my hand.

She looks me in the eye, holding my gaze intently 'Get away, they are coming!' She speaks with such intensity it sends shivers up my spine.

She looks over my shoulder and rapidly backs away.

'Sharp get over here.' It's Mr Castle.

I quickly back away slipping the piece of paper into my back pocket as I turn.

'Yes sir.' I say as I rapidly walk toward him, he's done with his call and is standing very straight clenching his fists.

'I'm afraid the police are coming Kia, you're going to have some explaining to do'.

'Let's go and wait in my office for them.' says Mr Castle firmly.

Worse than I thought. Expulsion seems like the easy road at this point,

My heart starts jackhammering.