Castle

Thursday 23rd April 2022 - 0945

St Judes, Middle School and Orphanage - London

Headmaster's Office

We walked silently to his office. Once we arrived we both sat. Mr Castle got on his computer and appeared to be catching up on some work.

I thought about what was going on, how had I managed to fight, beat, actually crush Fizz and his gang. It made no sense.

Suddenly I was stronger than I'd ever been, I could see the fight happening in a kind of slow motion, I could move faster. It was too much to get my head around.

The feeling was amazing, but I felt drained now though.

I keep trying to work it through in my mind.

First, an anonymous note telling me to run, then this woman...

Did she give me the note, I couldn't see how.

What did she want, what was on the paper she gave me?

The desire to look in my pocket was overwhelming.

I stare at Mr Castle, he was a middle-aged gent, possessed of extreme good manners, a kindly face, and a fair approach.

He dressed like a boffin. Three-piece tweed style suit, polished brown shoes and the school tie. Sometimes when he was feeling particularly adventurous or fun he would break out a bowtie. Wire rimmed glasses finish the look.

I stare at him, what must he be thinking? I guess mind reading isn't going to be part of today's miracles, because I've got nothing.

He senses me starting and turns his head from his computer screen to face me.

With a deep sigh, he removes his wire glasses.

'Kia, I'd always hoped that one day you would be able to stand up for yourself and get those bullies off your back. I wish we'd done more now, we should have done more. It was hard for me, for the school to help as you would never admit any problem.

He looked at me earnestly.

'Often the most effective way to be rid of a bully is to make it not worth it for the bully. You certainly did that today my boy. 'I'm pretty sure they will leave you alone now. Robbins, they suspect has a dislocated knee. Bromick has a broken arm, and suspected broken ribs and Jones has what the paramedic described as a shattered hand and wrist, she's never seen anything like it apparently. You seriously messed them up.'

He gives a brief chuckle and shakes his head.

'The sad irony is that Fizz... That's what you call him right?' I give an almost imperceptible nod, I'm in serious shock over the damage I've caused to the gang. 'He's perfectly alright, and he's the one that deserved the lesson. Although I doubt he will have the courage to come at you again. That's the thing with bullies, they only go after the easy targets. I don't think he will be seeing you as an easy target anymore.'

The corners of his mouth turned down and he sucks in a breath.

'I'm sorry lad, you don't deserve the way those boys have treated you over the years. However, it's a police matter now. I'll do what I can to protect you. Now tell me, from your perspective what happened, how on earth did you manage to beat them never mind hurt them so badly.'

I was about to blurt everything out to him when his phone rings.

He see me about to speak, looks at his phone, gives an apologetic look and holds his hand up.