Arizona TEEAAAA

From LocaNyan

For Gene: Why did you leave, and why did you leave Gary? What did you do in the place you were?

/-/-/-/-/-/-/

"That's pretty easy to answer," Gene muttered, holding a joint to his light for a moment. He took two hits and settled into his couch, holding the joint off to the side and blowing the smoke away from you. "When Gary came in and told me the kid was dead, I couldn't breathe. He told me, straight-faced and quiet, that Morty was shot. That he was dead. The world ended just then for me. The sweetheart that got me through tough times, my only friend for quite a while, was just gone. And we hadn't even spoken in what had felt like forever." He paused to take another hit, setting the joint off to the side and motioning that it was free to hit if you wanted.

"I tried to pretend things were normal. But what really pissed me off was watching Gary go about doing his normal thing without a care like the kid hadn't existed in the first place. Granted, I now know he knew the entire time and that's the only reason why; he had forgotten to spice it up a little and dramatize. But watching somebody behave like that, trying to adapt to an important, special person missing, is the hardest thing a human being can do. Some of us, we just aren't designed to cope with that. So we make changes. My change was I got outta this place and went down to Arizona for a bit, a fresh start away from the club, from Gary, who I'd thought, at the time, was a total cocksucker for not showing any emotion. I went to Arizona, and I just . . . I just lived."

Gene paused to sip at an Arizona Tea beside him with a chuckle at the irony, taking another hit and settling back down once more. "I left Gary because I had thought he was a normal fella, with normal feelings. Not like the other bouncers who show no emotion even outside of work. But he was just like any normal guy whose friend wasn't shot in front of them, and even killed like he'd lied and said. So I left him. I left him, I left this town, and I just lived in Arizona. Just got away from it all because I wasn't built to handle it. But boy am I glad to be back now, and that kid's alive. Despite that shit that went down with his memory, I wouldn't have it any other way."