Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Gatsby sped down the road. He had decided he was taking Nick to lunch. Nick listened eager as Gatsby started telling him about himself.

"You see, I will be an Oxford man. Generations of men from my family have been, so I don't exactly have a choice." Gatsby said as he pulled out a picture from his dashboard. "That there is my dad" he said pointing to a gentlemen. "My family was originally from the Midwest," Gatsby had told him.

Nick was also from the midwest. As he went on, Nick wasn't sure of what to believe anymore. Nick remembered that people had doubts about his family being in Oxford.

The time came when Gatsby was pulled over. Nick had seen it coming. As the cop approached the car, Gatsby just held out a card.

The cop simply said "Oh, I'm sorry, Mr. Gatsby. It won't happen again."

Gatsby eventually pulled up to a grand hotel and Nick followed him to the restaurant there. Gatsby had already sat down when he heard, "Come sit with us".

It was then that I realized he wasn't alone.

"Hello, I'm Wolfsheim" a man said.

"He is the one that rigged the lights of the city to stop working on New Years last year," Gatsby had whispered in his ear.

He sat through the whole lunch with Wolfsheim and Gatsby. Except when Gatsby had to leave and make a call, of course. It seem he had just gotten back to the table when Tom appeared. He began to explain that he was having lunch with Gatsby, but he was nowhere to be seen. Weird, Nick thought.

Later on he went out with Jordan. It was then Nick had remembered that Gatsby wanted to ask a favor of him.

"What is it?" Nick asked Jordan.

She smiled largely at him and told him what she had heard that night: "Gatsby had done everything for Daisy. He threw the big parties for her. He had made his family buy the house across from hers. Jordan told her about the day a year ago when she found Daisy trembling in a drunken state. Daisy had gotten a letter from Gatsby, he had written her from boarding school tell her of his relentless love. Daisy had wanted to break up with Tom then but her mom hadn't let her as she pried the letter from Daisy's trembling hands."

"Thats why Gatsby requests you to invite Daisy over for coffee. He'll come by and say he was just passing by. He wants to be reunited with her again," she told him and grinned.

She had seen the way Gatsby looked at Daisy and knew that he had truly loved her.