Camelot

Night came in quickly as Morgana picked her ways through the woods, to eventually be faced her first view of the castle in just over a year. It was a sight that made her heart leap and, somewhere deep inside, made her sad that she missed it. Morgana felt that she shouldn’t miss the castle. It wasn’t really her home anymore. She put her feelings down to the fact that she’d grown up and lived there all her life.

    She quickly walked along the battlements, looking out for any of the guards. She didn’t want a fight if she could help it. Slipping in at a side door, Morgana stopped and turned around quickly. A guard was walking along the corridor and there was nowhere to go.

    “You there! Halt!” The guard shouted, moving faster. “Show yourself.”

    Morgana sighed to herself and slowly turned. The guard froze and took a step back.

    “L-Lady Morgana.” The guard stammered before drew his sword. “What are you doing here?”

    “Nothing that concerns you.” The guard ran away to ring the warning bells. Behind him, Morgana stood still as she lifted a hand and her eyes glowed golden for a second. The guard flew through the air and crashed into the wall, unconscious.

    Making sure no one else was around, Morgana moved quickly and silently towards her old room. Arriving at it, she found the door unlocked and moved through the threshold, closing the door behind her. Turning around, the sight made Morgana stand still.

    Her chambers hadn’t been touched since she had left them. Maybe no one wanted to move anything, or maybe no one wanted to enter them anymore. Whatever the reason was, the room was still Morgana’s to claim as her own.

    Morgana moved around the room as if in a dream. She hadn’t seen it in two years, after her first short reign as Queen of Camelot. Everything brought back memories for her, but eventually Morgana tried to sleep. Sleeping in a proper bed was a little strange after so long of living in that hovel, but it didn’t take long for Morgana to fall asleep.

The birds sang outside as the sun rose in the sky. Morgana woke and blinked as she looked around, remembering everything that had happened in the night. She sighed and stood up. Morgana had an agenda for coming back to Camelot and the hardest part lay ahead of her. She figured she might as well get it over with now.

    Luckily, it was still early for too many people to be around, and that included Arthur. Everything was exactly as she remembered, so Morgana wasted no time in going to the council chambers. Peering around the corner, she found there was no one there, so Morgana lifted one handle and entered the room.

    At that moment, the bells rang. Morgana jumped and then sighed. Someone had obviously found the guard. She looked out of the window and, moments later, she heard footsteps running down the corridor.

    “No. I know.” That was Arthur. Morgana smiled sadly. This would be harder than she wished it could be. The doors suddenly flew open. Arthur ran in, flanked by two guards. They all stopped dead as Morgana turned around to face them, her face sad as she stared at her brother.

    “Morgana.” Arthur gasped. He looked in shock for about two seconds and then grasped his sword hilt. “What are you doing here? If this-”

    “Arthur, please. I’m not here to hurt you or anything. I want...I want a chance to explain. Alone.” Morgana added, seeing the guards not moving anywhere.

    Arthur shook his head in disbelief. “Why would I do that, Morgana? You’d probably kill me; in fact I’m surprised you haven’t already tried.”

    “I remember everything, you know. All of my memories came back to me the other night. I want to talk to you-” She paused and spoke one of her best memories. “-my Champion.”