The Dragon

I know I haven't updated in a while, but I have some important things coming up in the next few chapters. :) Also, over this chapter and the next one, some spoilers for season 5 are going to be in this. They're not major, but I can't really avoid them. So for anyone who doesn't know, I'm sorry about this.

1. Aithusa will be allied a lot to Morgana in Season 5. According to Merlin Wiki- "Katie McGrath has stated in an interview that Aithusa is female, despite being mentioned as "he" in series four."

2. The time gap between Seasons 4 and 5 will be three years, instead of the normal 1 year.

.................................................................................................................................................

Everyone in the castle had left Morgana alone. They knew she needed time by herself and were prepared to stay out of her way for as long as it took. After a while, Morgana could hear Gwen and Arthur talking outside in the corridor, though their voices were too low for her to hear what they said. Eventually, she heard Gwen walk away, so Morgana came out of her chambers.

    “Arthur?” She called quietly. “Can we...talk?”

    Arthur walked over to her. “Are you alright now?”

    Morgana gave a small laugh. “I’m fine. I guess I should apologise for losing my temper like that. So, I’m sorry.”

    “How did you lose your temper? You only used your magic.” Then he frowned. “Although you did almost attack Sir Leon-”

    Morgana sighed. “Exactly.”

    “What is it, Morgana?” Arthur asked cautiously.

    “It’s...this is going to sound stupid to you, but I’m going to say it anyway.” She said, looking at her brother again. “When I realised that those two had magic, I forced them to leave the castle like that because...well, all I remembered was Uther. It’s not easy to leave the past behind, especially where magic’s concerned.”

    “I know. I understand that, but you have to learn to trust me.” Arthur replied, giving her a small hug.

    “I’m trying. But I’m not promising it’s going to be easy.” Morgana said, hugging him back before she walked off, leaving Arthur staring after her sadly.

Two days later, news came to Camelot of a dragon sighting. Arthur and the Knights got ready to set off at once.

    “Does it look like the one my father imprisoned beneath Camelot all those years ago?” Arthur asked Sir Leon. “You know what it looked like.”

    “Yes, and I don’t think it’s the same one, Sire. But it’s large and looks like it’s been alive for a few years. It’s not like anything I’ve seen though. For one thing it’s pure white.”

    “Well, we should still go out.” The King told them. He hugged Gwen and they shared a brief kiss. “I’ll be back soon.”

    Out on the courtyard steps, Morgana was waiting for them, having heard the news. “Arthur, don’t hurt this dragon if you find it. Please. It saved my life.”

    “What? How do you now it’s the same one?”

    Morgana sighed. “I don’t. But there aren’t many dragons around in the five Kingdoms, Arthur. This dragon saved my life, I mean it.”

    Arthur studied his half-sister for a moment, before nodding slightly. “I believe you. Fine, we’ll just make sure it hasn’t harmed anyone.” Then he walked down the steps.

    Morgana watched the party canter through the castle entrance, waited for a few seconds and then headed to the stables. She untied her horse and was riding through the forest within minutes.

    Morgana soon arrived at a small clearing and dismounted, looking around. It was completely silent. She smiled and called out: “Aithusa! Come!”

    She stared at the sky for about half a minute before there was a shadow against the setting sun. It circled and landed at Morgana’s feet. The shadow was none other than the white dragon, Aithusa.

    “You need to go away for a while, Aithusa. Like the other dragons, you’re magical, and I don’t think Arthur is as used to magic being around him as he says.” Morgana told the dragon. “I’ll call you if I need you in the future.”

    Aithusa croaked at her mistress, uncurled her wings and flew away. Morgana stood back and watched her, hoping Arthur wouldn’t catch sight of Aithusa while outside the castle.

    Arriving back at the castle, Morgana quickly shrugged off her cloak in her chambers, deciding to take a walk around. She knew no one had seen her leave or return, which was a good thing, she thought, while walking through the council chambers. This was true. Gwen saw her briefly and thought she’d been in the castle all day.

    Arthur and the Knights arrived back soon afterwards. “We didn’t find any sign of disturbance.” Arthur said and turned to Morgana. “We also didn’t find the dragon.”

    Morgana nodded and pretended not to be bothered. “Ok. Thank you, Arthur.” She exited by the corridor at the back of the room and smiled in relief. Aithusa had gotten away fine. Morgana thought about what Arthur said about not finding the dragon. One thought flashed through her mind.

    Hopefully you never will.