Confrontation

The sun once more rose to start a new day in Camelot. Arthur and Gwen were both awake early. Merlin was on his way to see them when he opened his door to see Morgana stood in front of him.

    “Can I talk to you?” She asked.

    Merlin hesitated. “Well actually, I’m running late to see Arthur and-”

    “Oh, it will only take a minute, Merlin.” She smiled. “I’m sure he won’t mind if you say you were with me.”

    They both sat down in Merlin’s chambers. Merlin was impatient and nervous. Morgana looked like she was up to no good, but he didn’t know why he should think that. Maybe it was just because of how she’d been in the past...

    “Are you listening?” Morgana asked, breaking his thoughts. Merlin looked at her.

    “I’m sorry. What did you say?”

    Morgana sighed. “I said that I had a brief vision last night. It didn’t make sense though. Then I saw someone who I hadn’t in a very long time.”

    “Who was it?” Merlin was slightly curious now. Who hadn’t Morgana seen recently? She’d been living in Camelot for a few months now, after all.

     Morgana looked at Merlin for a few seconds and smiled a little. “Oh, it was only Mordred.”

    “Mordred?! The druid boy you helped?”

    Morgana nodded. “Yes, Mordred. You know who I mean, Merlin.” She paused. “Or...should I be calling you Emrys instead?”

    Merlin looked up sharply, while Morgana glared at him. For a few seconds, neither moved or say a word. Then Morgana took a step forward.

    “You’ve done well. You can act even better than I can.” She snapped. “I mean, you were pretending too, and you still are. Lying to everyone since you came here. Lying to Arthur, who thinks of you as his friend, even though he might not admit it.”

    Merlin said nothing. He couldn’t believe she knew and he couldn’t believe Morgana was still in the room.

    “Don’t worry.” She continued, guessing his thoughts. “As soon as I’m done here, I’m going straight to Arthur and telling him everything. But now you have nothing to worry about, seeing as magic’s allowed here now. But, then again...he’s not going to be...happy, is he?”

    Morgana laughed and turned to go from the room. “At least you’re not going to be my doom for much longer, Emrys.”

    For a few seconds, Merlin sat there, thinking. Then he got up and followed Morgana. There was no way she was going to destroy Camelot now! If she told Arthur, well, Merlin knew how he’d react.

    The King had just started to build a proper life with Gwen after the things she’d done. Arthur was also just getting used to Morgana living with them again, and was trying to put everything in the past.

    This would break him again.

    It was Merlin’s responsibility to protect the King, after all. If Arthur ever found out about his magic, it would be because Merlin had told him, and no one else.

    Morgana heard Merlin before she saw him. Smiling to herself, she stopped and used her magic when he finally came into view. “Are you not going to learn? I’m more powerful than you are.”

    She walked away again. Merlin cautiously stood up when he heard a noise. Turning, he did a double take as he saw Mordred stood behind him. “You’re not going to hurt her, Emrys.”

    “I don’t have a choice.”

    Mordred smiled. “You always have a choice.” He walked away to join Morgana wherever she was going. He decided to follow them both, but to his relief, saw them leaving on horseback to the forest.

    Wherever they were going, whatever they were doing, it couldn’t be good.